Project Notes: Workroom Board & Batten


When we started remodeling the studio, we knew that we were going to need new flooring. Because the studio is a built-in above the garage, it left low ceilings in the carports below. This made it difficult to have overhead garage door openers.  The solution that the previous owners came up with was to hang the openers upside down.  Yes… upside down… so that the motor was popping through the floor of the studio. They framed in and drywalled around the motors, leaving weird boxes on the floor and limiting furniture arrangement.  There was a box in two of the three rooms. Fast forward a decade later and we were able to install side mount openers in the garage and get additional floor space back in the studio.  Rather than patching 10 year old carpeting, we went with new laminate flooring.

The walls where the boxes were located needed some repair too.  You can see the outline of one of the boxes in the replacement sheet rock that Tyson installed.

Before Built-In's | Storypiece.net

It would’ve been easy to patch, paint the area and call it a day, but we decided to use this as an opportunity to do something interesting to the walls.

We love molding and have done several decorative upgrades like this wall and mantel in our family room.

Family Room Molding | Storypiece.net

For the Workroom, I wanted to do something a little different.  When I saw that Teal & Lime installed board & batten in her dining room, I loved the solution for our wall.

The Before:

Sub Wall Before Batten | Storypiece.net

Tyson began by getting sheets of board and cutting them down to the size needed for the space.

Panel for Built-In's | Storypiece.net

Quick note:  Ok… this is not the room we installed board & batten in. I managed to delete the photos of the board progress in the Workroom… Yay me! We hung board in here at the same time as we are prepping it for a different studio project.  It’s the same idea…

Tyson cut out space for the outlets and cable jack.

Cutting Panels for Outlets | Storypiece.net

We glued and nailed up the board.  Bye-bye last remaining trace of garage openers.

Installed Boards | Storypiece.net

About this point on Day 1, I needed to take our daughter to rehearsal for a concert she was performing in that evening.  When Tyson arrived for the event, he showed me this photo of the installed batten.  I might have squealed and not just because the concert was starting.  The wall looks amazing!

Installed Batten | Storypiece.net

Day 2: Time to prep.  Honestly, the longest part of the entire process was caulking all of the joints.  But the finished results were SO worth it.

Me & My Paint Crew:

Ready to Work | Storypiece.netWork Crew | Storypiece.net

I might need a new paint crew…

After the wall was prepped, I was ready for primer.  Tyson had used a high gloss board and we needed something for the paint to grab onto.  Good thing they make Gripper Primer.

Gripper Primer | Storypiece.net

The instructions state to sand the area before applying, but I wanted a really smooth surface so I did a test sample.  Even with a fine grade sandpaper, the scuff was coming through more than I wanted it to. I risked it and painted the wall without sanding it.  No problem.  I’m so glad we used the Gripper Primer.  It gave us enough texture for the paint to stick to, but helped us achieve the ultra-smooth look we were going for.

Day 3: Paint.  I applied three light coats of Behr semi-gloss in “Artist Canvas” and I LOVE the results.

Painted Board & Batten | Storypiece.net

Now I REALLY want to add this treatment somewhere else in the house.

Finished Board & Batten | Storypiece.net

The finished wall came out better than I had imagined.

For your comparison:

Sub Wall Before Batten | Storypiece.net

After Board & Batten | Storypiece.net

This was the last major element we had to finish in this section of the studio and I’m so glad it’s complete.  Up next… a full view of this workroom and creative space.




3 comments

    • Danielle says:

      Ha! The blush is well deserved… your dining room is stunning and very inspiring. 🙂 It’s one of those upgrades that I still love and wish we would’ve done so much sooner.

      PS. Sorry you were hit with the ping back on such an old post… I’m cleaning up some photos and doing some blog house keeping.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!