Gift Tag Ornaments

As we sit less than one month away from Christmas, I’m dying to tell you about the holiday projects that I’ve been working on.  But since I don’t want to spoil the surprise just yet, I thought, instead, I’d share a quick craft project that I came across on Pinterest.

The original idea came from this post by Simply Kierste.  She created very cute personalized ornaments from wood cutouts that she picked-up at JoAnn’s.  I decided to use this idea as a jumping off point and have the ornaments double as name tags for the gifts we are giving this year.

To start off, I found these wooden tags from Michael’s for .29 each.

Then I picked scrapbooking paper that would compliment my gift wrap.  I scored this huge pack at JoAnn’s for $8.  (It feeds my paper addiction.)

I traced the wooden tags onto the back of the selected scrapbook paper.

And then I cut the tags out.

Kierste suggested personalizing the ornaments with vinyl letters, but I hand wrote mine with a Sharpie.  I also think another great option would be to play around with fonts on the computer and print them out for the tags.

Then it was time to crack open the Mod Podge.

Once the first set was done, I felt like it needed something more.  The light green swirls got a little washed out in the glaze and the tags were looking a bit plain.  So I re-wrote the names and year on white card stock and added them to the tags.  I like that the layered paper gives the whole thing more dimension.

To finish up the tags, I added pretty ribbon to each.

I ended up creating three different versions for my family and friends.

Tess suggested the green ribbon with the red tags and this combo is probably my favorite. The girl has a great eye!

Now as I’m wrapping presents to ship out, it’s fun adding these gift tag ornaments to each one.

This festive project was simple, quick and easy.  However, if I were to make these again, I would definitely opt for funkier name tag paper and plainer gift wrap.  A lot of the details on the finished tags are very subtle and they get lost in the overall look.

How is your Christmas planning going?  What have you found on Pinterest that is making its way into your holiday preparation? Are you, like me, starting to avoid Pinterest so that you don’t get any more ideas that you feel compelled to sneak in? Normally, I can keep a healthy Pinterest perspective, but I’m starting to want to make one of everything.  There’s just too many amazing ideas!

I’m sharing this post at the “Dare to DIY” Party hosted by Decor and the Dog, Maybe Matilda, Newly Woodwards and Two Twenty One.  Check out all the handmade gift ideas that are being rounded up.  They are sure to inspire even more holiday ideas.

**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.

Such a special touch! It’s such a pretty present, I’d hate to tear it open. Okay, I lied… the prettier the wrapping the more I want to know what’s inside. Great tag, D!

I just spent TWENTY minutes in line at JoAnns. I tell you this because I love those paper packs too… and I always check their sale aisles for them. But while I was in line it seemed like every other person was talking about something they were making because they saw it on Pinterest! The store was PACKED with people. I think pinterest might need to ask for a kick-back. I did buy some shiny silver paper. One piece cost $2.00. Good grief I hope I don’t screw it up. Some of those specialty papers are like gold!

LOVE your tags!

Going into that store this time of year is the worst! That’s too funny though that everyone is having a similar reaction. I’m so excited that I’m getting things done and then all of a sudden I find myself thinking, “well one more thing won’t take that long.” Enough! But I do want to stop by and check out their fun mod fabric that you recommended. Maybe if I take Tyson with me, I’ll be able to keep the blinders on and just browse. He’s gonna love me for that suggestion. 🙂

these tags give the gift that punch more punch. great idea and seems like an easy enough way to take your present to the next level! 😀

Those are great!!
    Paper addiction—one of the less acknowledged substance-abuse problems…
    I have paper that I’ve never used, “because I like it too much.”

I was contemplating a trip to Michaels, but reading Stacey’s comment made me realize that today is Saturday, and therefore NOT the day to go to the craft store at the beginning of the Christmas season…

Thanks! Awww, yes… paper addiction. I’m probably overdue for an intervention. I keep thinking that I’m set for life and then they go and come out with new patterns. I can’t help myself! And I like to reason that it’s cheaper than my fabric addiction so it’s okay, right?

Not going to Michael’s today was probably a smart move. Every where we went had a huge line, even Starbuck’s!

You’re absolutely right… the wrapping can feel so very wasteful. I’m definitely starting to rethink how I put my gifts together, especially with all the amazing ideas on Pinterest and Blogs. There’s some really cute ideas that are very resourceful. Thanks for dropping by, Emily!

4. Kim@NewlyWoodwards says:

Very cute idea! I especially love that the wood tags are the base. Makes them super substantial. I also think if you were able to keep track of them, it’d be great to use the tags every year.

Thanks so much for linking up to Dare to DIY!

Thanks, Kim. I love the idea of making this a tradition. That could be very fun! And thank you for hosting the link-up. It has been amazing to see all of the creative ideas that are being shared.

5. Vel says:

These gift tags are really cute, it really adds that special something to any gift. You can even use those to wrap napkins with during your xmas dinner!

Thanks for stopping by, Michelle. I can’t get over all the creative gifts being shared through the link-up. Such a fun idea… thanks for hosting the party!

6. Jessica @ A Humble Creation says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my lady bug quilt. I really like these gift tags. I did a similar project with ornaments, paper and Mod Podge, but I hadn’t thought to use them as a gift tag and ornament. Thanks for the inspiration!