Snowball Cookies

At Halloween I mentioned that the kids were huge fans of Blue’s Clues when they were little.  However, I’m not entirely sure that I expressed the FULL depths of that.

It was our “must see” TV and we knew ALL the songs.

We saw the live stage show, not once… but twice.

Blue's Clues Live

We owned the Thinking Chair…

Thinking Chair

… AND Side Table Drawer.

SideTable Drawer

Evan was convinced that even though they don’t sell those in stores, Santa could get one made in his workshop.  Kid logic is a dangerous thing.  Thankfully, Grandma (who has an “in” with Santa) helped deliver on his Christmas wish.

Blue's Clues

And somewhere along the way, Tess decided she wanted to make Snowball Cookies.

Snowball Cookie Recipe

The “recipe” was in one of our holiday Blue’s Clues books.

Recipe

Although it didn’t come from a regular cookbook, over time these treats have become a Christmas tradition.

The cookies are super easy to make and fun to do with young kiddos.  For those interested in the adult (non-cartoon) version of the recipe, you’ll need:

• 2 cups of flour
  • 2 cups of crushed pecans (walnuts, we discovered, work too)
  • 1 cup of butter
  • 4 tbsp of sugar
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • Sprinkles and powdered sugar for decorating

Mix everything together in a bowl until a dough forms.

Mix Ingredients

Roll dough into balls.  I’m not sure of the exact size since the recipe comes from such an unconventional source, but we make them about bite size.  Then place them onto a greased cookie sheet.

Make Snowballs

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Once they are cool enough to handle, roll them in powdered sugar and add sprinkles.

Decorate

We get about three dozen highly addictive cookies that don’t stick around our home for long.  They are crumbly little nuggets, but they’re delicious.

Snowball Christmas Cookies | Storypiece.net

SnowballCookieSnowballCookies

Is there any special holiday baking that you are doing? Do you have “must make” goodies that you whip up each year? Where is the most unexpected place you have found a favorite family recipe?

Oh I wish you could see the grin on my face… the pictures of your “babies” are too much!! So sweet, Danielle. Love the BC chair and table. GRANDMAS RULE!

I’m not quite sure how you are dealing with Tessa’s new found love of baking. I’m telling you… I would be as big as a house by now. Every time I’d pass by the plate I’d have to pop one in! They look sooooo delicious. I’d be catching some serious snow balls with my mouth. (laughing). I’ll have to try them over the holidays. It’s my ONE time of the year to bake. Love that it came from the Blues Clues book! Hilarious and fun. Go Tessa, Go Tessa. Girl, I’d say you’ve totally got a “clue”!

Hmmm… I think I’m dealing with all of Tessa’s baking by allowing my clothes to get tighter. It’s not pretty. The only saving grace is having a 17 year old in the house who eats everything in sight because of his killer metabolism. Let me know if you make them… Tess would get a kick out of that!

And you are very sweet… as always!! It was really fun to dig through old photos to find these and to be reminded of what was. They both are blessed to have an amazing Grandma who takes great delight in both of them.

That’s it. I am trying those. I love easy recipes and that’s up my alley.

Can I be terrible and admit I have never ever heard of Blues Clues? Am I just an incompetent Canadian? Is it a show like the Doodlebops? Wow I am terrible.

Blue’s Clues is WAY better than Doodlebops! Like, they’re not even in the same league. Okay, maybe not… I obviously have a sentimental attachment to the show. 🙂 Blue’s Clue is very cute though and has a different energy than Doodlebops.

And for your Canadian viewing pleasure, I give you Blue’s Clues!

For the record, we prefer the episodes with Steve versus Joe. You’ll see…

i used to nanny back in the day and those kids were GLUED to blues clues (i loved steve!). paprika, pale, side table drawer, “maaiil timmme!”…good stuff. nice that you got bakers out of it, too 😉

So you know it well! 🙂 I think our Blue’s Clues cd was the saving grace for my 14 month old on the 22 hour car ride when we moved from LA to Portland

I have a significantly younger brother… and while I don’t remember blue’s clues featuring prominently in his life, I DO remember Barney… you know, purple dinosaur? He LOVED that show, so I’ll assume that was your kid’s attachment to Blue.

My other brother and I still tease the younger one, even though now he is 21. We’ll ask him if he’s wearing his Barney socks. Or how his Barney backpack is holding up… we think that is the height of humor.

My mom makes snowballs, and yes. They are insanely good. Definitely one of the top five holiday cookies!

We watched a tiny bit of Barney, but I’m hugely thankful to have dodged that bullet. Blue’s Clues is significantly less annoying. Your poor brother… that’s a hard one to live down. I’d have to tease him too.

Oh my goodness… I think the Wiggles are what bumped Steve and Blue off their pedestal in our household. We saw their live show too. I definitely miss Blues more than the Wiggles. 🙂 Thanks for dropping by.

5. Lisa says:

My son LOVES blues clues! We finally found chair on Craigslist. Where did you find side table? Also, we will be making cookies today!

Hi Lisa! I’m so glad that Blue’s Clues lives on. Of all the show my kids watched, I think it’s one of the best. The side table is something that my mom had made and I painted. It was so fun to have and got a lot of love. It has since been sold on Craigslist to another fan. Hope your cookies came out delicious and thanks for stopping by.

6. Heather says:

We had made this recipe in the Blue’s Clues book a few years back with my two kiddos, ages 4 and 6. We wanted to make it again this year for a cookie exchange, but lo and behold, we had outgrown the book and given it away. Rather than look through recipe books or the web for the “real recipe”, I did a search for “Blue’s Clues snowball cookie recipe” on Google and your website popped up! The cookies were made yesterday and were as good as we remembered. Glad you posted this!

Oh my goodness, Heather… thank you so much for sharing this with me. I know exactly how upset my daughter would be if we didn’t have the recipe so I’m so glad that we could help your family out.

Thanks for your sweet comment and I hope that you all have a lovely Christmas!

7. Tara says:

where did you get the thinking chair and side table drawer?! My son loves blues clues (we watch on netflix) and now it is impossible to find anything!

Hi Tara! I love hearing that another generation is enjoying Blue Clues… It’s such a sweet show! Unfortunately I believe the Thinking Chair and Side Table Drawer may be hard to find. I think we found the chair at Toys R Us, but they’ve long since stopped carrying it. And the side table is something that my mom had custom built and I hand painted. (When kid logic says that he asked Santa for side table drawer for Christmas and he just knows that it can be easily built in Santa’s workshop… you get creative.) Hopefully Craigslist or Ebay can help you out. Good luck!