Christmas Break

I love when my kiddos are out of school.  And we have one more week before they are off for two glorious weeks.  YAY!  Christmas Break is the best!  And I think I’m going to take a Christmas Break too… From this blog.

Santa

I had a different post planned for today, but then a funny thing happened this week.  A funk settled in.  Between reading other blogs and floating around on Pinterest, what was once inspiring me is beginning to make me feel, well, inadequate. Discontent. Dissatisfied.  DISTRACTED.

Christmas Decor

And it’s lame.  Lame because I know better.  Because none of that stuff is true or even important.  Because keeping up with the “Internet Jones’s” is NOT what I want to be about.

Christmas Lights

So I’m taking a break.  I’m going to bake and craft and decorate and enjoy the beauty of this time of year and not take a single picture to share with you here.  It’s my hope that you have an amazing season with family and friends and that you have the courage to say “No” to all of the crazy chaos that likes to creep in.

Paper Stars

Merry Christmas!  I’m looking forward to all kinds of new stories to share in 2013.

I LOVE YOU DANIELLE! You said everything that I feel (most of the time!) but especially at Christmas. My decorations were drawn on a damn chalk board for crying out loud! H AHA HA! Nothing is better than REAL LIFE, and REAL PEOPLE, and the amazing things right in front of you…. not the fake, styled, and unrealistic images we tend to agonize over. Woo Hoo! A girl after my own heart.

YES! unplug, decompress, and celebrate all the blessings in your life. You and your family are picture perfect and always have been. (take that pinterest!) There’s nothing more important.

Oh goodness I feel like a million bucks!!! YOU ROCK!
    Happy Holidays. Enjoy my sweet friend. Today is my last day of work until the NEW YEAR! OMG, I feel like bursting into a thousand pieces!! (that’s a lot of JOY)
    I will be doing the same as you. TOTALLY ENJOYING THE HERE AND NOW!
    Love ya!

P.S. Your decorations are beautiful!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS “M” FAMILY!!

Thank you so much!! I’m normally truly inspired by all the creativity out there, but I’m hitting information overload… it’s too much! And thank you for always being so encouraging. I’m so thankful to call you friend and I hope that you and Richie have a wonderful Christmas!! Enjoy your time off!

I love this. Truly.
    I am amazed how “real” blogging seems. And how its importance has kind of swallowed “actual” reality.

Also, I kind of loathe Pinterest. I’m there for my blog. No other reason. Which is essentially an equation that adds up to a total waste of time… I’ve been thinking about this a lot— the time-wasting, brain-sucking power of the internet.

Anyway… what I meant to say was HAPPY HOLIDAYS. See you in the New Year!!

Thanks! I completely agree. There’s a lot of amazing things about the internet, but it can be a massive time suck! However, I’m super thankful to have had the opportunity to meet great people like yourself and it helps shorten the distance with far away family and friends, so I think it’s gonna be a permanent reality.

Hope your holidays are filled with LOTS of random dance parties under those disco balls!

Great post! Really and truly.

It’s funny b/c as of last week I’ve felt the same way. I wrote up a bunch of posts in late Nov/early Dec one week when my husband worked a night shift and scheduled them to be posted in Dec so that I could have some time to well…it’s December and chaos implodes for everyone. And I finally reached a moment where I’m almost out of them.

Then a funny thing happened. I sat there thinking of all the things I have to do this week alone – the baking, the school Christmas concerts, the last minute wrapping, the stockings, the get togethers with friends, gifts for teachers, finding new good wine to drink with turkey 😉 – all the great stuff that happens at this time of year. So I made a decision and pulled out of a group posting coming up b/c I literally do not have the time to do it. And I realized it wasn’t a bad thing b/c I thought to myself how utterly ridiculous it was for me to try and wait for the perfect light to be able to shoot some photos for my blog entry vs ohhhh, actually enjoying the season? You know what life was like before I had a blog and documented stuff for myself, photos shot with with a flash. The horror. I felt like this wasn’t why I started my blog. I started it b/c I wanted to show projects and things that I do as I did them. Suddenly I started doing them b/c it felt like I “had” to do them at that time. Like why can’t I write about a fudge recipe in January. Why does it have to be December? Does anyone really care? The answer was obvious.

So after the last scheduled posts are done, I’m with you til January. There comes a point where you need to un-plug and there’s plenty of time in the stillness of January’s post Holiday hangover where you can look back and have fun reminiscing about the good stuff that happened.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

That’s EXACTLY it!! And I’m enjoying the breather to remember why I started this blog… to share stories… the things that are meaningful to our family and to hear others’ stories. Even if that means flash photography. 🙂 And you are exactly right… I always wish the traditions of this time of year would carry through year round. So I think fudge in January is perfectly acceptable.

Have a lovely break with your family. And Merry Christmas!

4. Laurice says:

You,my dear, are an amazingly creative, beautiful lady! Everyone deserves a break now and then and I hope you enjoy every last minute of it!

I just want you to know that your posts and pics Inspire even those of us that are on the… Well let’s just say less creative side:). I love to see what new projects you are undertaking, and just the joy of seeing you with your family!

I love you girl! You ROCK!

P.S. I think the funk you are in deserves a little personal shopping day:)

The only way a little personal shopping day could clear out the funk is if my Bestie were along for the fun. Tell Ross, I’m in a funk and see what he can do. 🙂

And you, my friend, are WAY more creative than you give yourself credit for. I sometimes see ideas on the internet and think, “Laurice was totally doing that 20 years ago!” But I love you for saying so and means everything to me that you read my ramblings. <3

happy holidays, danielle! i love everything you post and i look forward to the fun, creativity and new journeys you post in 2013. wishing you and your fam a very joyful season.

So true! Hope that you are settling into having your new “roommate” arriving soon (if he’s not already here!) and that your holiday is extra special because of him.

6. Jennifer S says:

Great post! You said something really honest that truly resonates with me. There are times when I look around the blogosphere and feel overwhelmed, or inadequate, or somehow diminished by all the great talent here, there and everywhere. It’s nice to be able to turn it off, take a step back, and find my real life still exists. It’s a good reminder that one of the things I love best about the internet is that it’s so easy to step away from. Enjoy your holidays with your wonderful family!

Thank you! It’s so true. I’m enjoying holding my kids extra close this week and spending time together as a family. Hope you are having a lovely holiday season as well!