Looking Ahead to 2013

Like so many, Tyson and I have been talking about goals and projects for the upcoming year.  He has been off work for the last two weeks and it’s been fun to brainstorm what we’d like to accomplish next in our home.

Back in November, I mentioned (here) that our hope would be to work on our kitchen this year. It is one of the last spaces in our home that we have yet to add our personal twist on and it is time to tackle it.

When we moved in the space looked like this:

2000 Kitchen-Before

When we first considered buying this house, the kitchen was a definite plus.  It’s huge with tons of storage, vaulted ceilings and loads of light and counter space.  We absolutely love having it.  It is the space where everyone congregates when they come over and even when it’s just the four of us, you can often find us hanging out here.  Not to be cliché, but it IS the heart of our home.  You can see all the main living areas from it and it’s the brightest place in our house.

And 12 years later not much has changed.

2012 Kitchen-Before

We’ve upgraded the lineuoleum flooring to a wood lamenant and changed out the very small island to a much larger one that includes seating.  We’ve also replaced the dishwasher and the refrigerator… which came with us from Tyson’s bachelor days.  However, the major painting, counter and cabinet refinishing are all still on our “to-do” list.

So our goal is to make the Mangelsdorf Kitchen our Project for 2013.  We are optimistic that it won’t take twelve months, but since we will be doing most of the work ourselves, I’m adjusting my expectations accordingly.

To help keep us from being overwhelmed by the mess and project itself, Tyson and I have decided to break it up into several phases that we can accomplish as time and budget allow.

Phase 1 – Paint the Ceilings and Walls

Phase 2 – Microwave Upgrade

Phase 3 – Paint Cabinets and Add Hardware

Phase 4 – Replace Sink, Stove and Countertops

Phase 5 – Add a Backsplash

That’s it.  Shouldn’t be too hard, right?

Okay… don’t answer that.  I’m too excited to have my naïve bubble burst just yet.  And Tyson is already starting in on the ceiling, so here we go!

Have you updated your kitchen?  What tips would you share for us as we begin?  And what about you… what are you tackling for 2013?  I’d love to hear what you are up to.

1. Lindsey says:

What an exciting project! Sounds intimidating now, but just think how thrilled you will feel when you are done with all those things on your list. We look forward to seeing the progress!

We are both really excited too. Especially looking at the photo I posted… we have a lot of wood and white. It will be nice to bring in more contrast and texture. Thanks for following along and congrats on being landlord! Now THAT sounds like an intimidating job, but totally rewarding too.

Our kitchen is our next big project… and I really cannot face it. We’re looking at a total rip-out, so compared to that, your 12-step program sounds like a vacation.

Paul wants to get started doing the bits and pieces he can, without us having a definite plan… but I am TIRED of living in a construction zone. Plus, the bathroom taught me this—start NOTHING without a detailed plan. Maybe other couples are fine with a more relaxed approach, but Paul and I drive each other nuts with the different ways we make decisions. I want every last choice made, before we rip anything out.

Then maybe I will go stay at a spa until he is done. HA HA. So not kidding.

p.s.- like the fancy clock! And the vaulted ceilings! It’s a great space now, will be fantastic when you’re finished!

Because Tyson is self-employed and has such a weird schedule (lots of nights and weekends), we have to have a plan with good stopping points or we will be dining out (and probably bickering) A LOT. Thankfully, we won’t be doing a total rip-out, just a lot of cosmetic. Otherwise, I’d want to head to a spa too.

We like to work somewhere in the middle. We have a general plan, but we leave room to be flexible too. Things ALWAYS change. When we tiled our fireplace, we ended up changing the entire design as we were tiling. That’s just a part of the thrill of DIY right? Or insanity of DIY… the jury is still out on that.

Your bathroom is STUNNING! I can’t wait to see what you come up with in your kitchen.

3. Pam says:

I have been contemplating painting my cabinets too. Rustoleum makes a new product that I found at Home Depot. Its is specifically for cabinets and you need minimal prep. Lots of colors and finishes. It comes in a kit. It is a 3 step finish as I remembered and looks really nice. Good luck. Done all the rest of my kitchen 2 years ago and I’m glad its behind us.

Hi Pam! We have some great durable, self-leveling paint that we used in my husband’s studio that we are considering using, but I’ve been eyeing that Rustoleum product too. I’m thinking about trying it out on one of our bathroom vanities to see how it handles. I’ll definitely let you know how it goes if I try it. It looks really promising.

can’t wait to see your progress, the color(s) you chose and, eventually, the end result! you have a great canvas to start with. happy 2013!

Thanks… I can’t wait to see what we come up with too. 🙂 There are so many things we haven’t decided on just yet; we definitely like to see how things “feel” as they progress. Welcome Home… Hope you had an amazing trip!

OH WHAT FUN! I just loved doing our kitchen remodel. It was by far the most fun and rewarding of all the projects. Like you said… it really is the heart of the home… so it might as well be pretty if you’re going to spend so much time there. Worth every bit of time, energy, and “bickering” (of course you guys probably NEVER fight)

I’m not sure what you have planned for countertops but we are SOOO in love with our quartz. It’s a winner in terms of beauty and ease of care.
    Looking forward to seeing it come together. It’s such a great open space!!!

Ha… Bickering! I think the EXACT phrase I heard when I called from Home Depot to report I was wrong about something was “In Your Face!” Which of course made me laugh! Good Times.

I’m not sure what we have planned for countertops either, but I’m super interested in hearing what people love and don’t love. Do you have pics on your site of your kitchen redo? I’d love to see it.

• Stacey says:

Oh absolutely. You can see it in the drop down menu “room by room” or under the categories drop down labeled “kitchen”. My kitchen is so tiny compared to yours but it came out just as I planned. I know you must be excited to get going. Have fun!

• Stacey says:

The “kitchen” category options shoes all the posts I did from start to finish. I went back and looked at them today and it made me so happy. I’m excited for you to feel that too.

Me too. The paint is already helping a ton, but we are entering that “really bad, before it gets better” look that happens. Your photos are great inspiration to just keep going.

6. Jennifer S says:

You’re so creative with color and design… I can’t wait to see how this kitchen project turns out. So many possibilities! Please post many times along the way. 🙂

I’ll absolutely keep you posted. In fact, you probably won’t be able to shut me up about it, especially since my husband has a lit fire to get it done too. 🙂