Hitting the Ceiling

We just finished with the kitchen ceiling and I can’t wait to tell you all about it.  Painting the ceilings in our home has been a labor of love and I’m so glad they are finally D.O.N.E.!

When we moved into our home in 2000, it came with plain vanilla walls and a heavy knockdown plaster texture on most of the ceilings.

Knockdown Plaster

It’s flatter than the sprayed “popcorn” look and I’ve been told, this style is suppose to be a feature.  However for Tyson and I, it has just become a royal pain. The heavy texture requires the use of a very rough nap roller and a TON of arm strength to get into all the crevices. Plus the ceilings have never been painted, so they really suck up the paint, requiring a few coats for full coverage.  On the other hand, we’re uninterested in having the texture removed so we gladly paint.

With our kitchen having high ceilings, we figured it would be no minor task.  For the rest of our vaulted ceilings, we rented scaffolding, but we knew that couldn’t be used in our kitchen. This project was going to require the use of ladders and poles and it quickly fell to the bottom of our “to-do” list.

Vaulted Kitchen

We even had areas where we had painted as far as we could reach and then stopped.

Unfinished Work

Classy, right?

Since we would be working on the high kitchen ceilings, we also included this open area sandwiched between our kitchen and family room that needed to get done too.

Vaulted Ceiling

Our primary goal was to get the high stuff painted while Tyson was on break from work so that when he gets busy again, I can keep this project moving with the lower stuff.

Tyson got everything prepped and was ready to get to it.

Prepped

Will Work For Music

Maybe it’s because it was the last of the ceilings or maybe it’s because it’s easy to make a mountain out of a mole-hill project, but Tyson was able to make quick work of the last of the ceilings and we both can’t get over how much it has cleaned up the space.

It’s difficult to show good “before and after” photos since the “after” are still a light tan and they pretty much look like they are suppose to.  Probably the best example is the section of ceiling where we had stopped painting.

Before:

Unfinished Work

After:

Painted Ceiling

Yup… Looks exactly like it should.  Flat and even. When you are in the space, the texture is definitely down played and it all feels fresh and clean.

The most challenging part of the entire job came when Tyson got paint in his eye. Painting overhead typically means that paint is bound to get everywhere. However, Tyson got paint literally stuck on the inside of his eyelid and it would not go away. A doctor had to clean it out and Tyson got some stylin new protective eye wear.

Safety First

I can’t explain the hammer, but here’s a free tip from us to you:  Paint on the inside of your eyelid is no fun.  Protective eyewear = super fun!

What new paint projects are you working on? Have you tackled any new tasks that you thought would be more challenging than they ended up being?  Have you had to learn DIY safety the hard way?

Other stories you might enjoy:

I’m so glad it is over and I didn’t even do the actual painting this time. I’m hoping we won’t ever need to paint these heavily textured ones again. Thanks for stopping by.

Next up are the walls, which is the last of the work on the crazy high ladders. Looking forward to just painting on my own two legs very soon. 🙂

The two-tone ceiling was kind of interesting. You don’t miss that? Ha!

When I got a speck of paint in my eye, and it was incredibly uncomfortable. It resolved itself, no doctor trip needed, but I was convinced my body was absorbing some fatal toxins through my eye membrane.

Did you really manage to hit everything with just the ladder? Your ceilings look really tall in places… like you would have needed scaffolding!

We like to keep it classy around here. Finishing things up is definitely fueling the “what else can we knockout” fire and I’m loving it! We did get everything with the ladder; we just took our time and didn’t take any chances. My job for most of this project was holding the ladder and taking brushes and rollers, loading them with paint and passing them up. Oh… and my other job was making encouraging comments that ranged from “no falling” to “what’s the big deal… get up there”. It’s ’cause I’m a giver like that.

Yeah… the paint in the eye wasn’t going away after 24 hours so he had to get his eyelid flipped inside out and cleaned. It was actually STUCK on the inside of the eyelid. No fatal toxins being absorbed for him. 🙂

Oh Alex, I can’t wait for you to paint your walls… It makes such a huge difference! I’m getting ready to post pictures of the walls and although the space is looking very transitional (too much brown!), it’s also feeling warmer and cleaned up. We love it! Don’t think about it too much. It’s like a band-aid… just rip it off and you’ll be glad you did. 🙂

2. Sarah says:

Man, that looks like a giant pain-in-the-butt task! But it looks great! Oh and good call on the eyewear. Not something that seems important until you REALLY think about it…

Ha! Yes… you would think with my husband being an artist and needing his sight for a living, we would’ve invested in the $5 protective eyewear a little sooner. 🙂

From one ceiling painter to another I give you the highest of high-fives! It is by far the hardest things to do but gives the greatest results. Sometimes you don’t even know how badly you needed to paint until you see that first roll of fresh paint go on. That’s when the oooooos and ahhhhhhhs start to come out.

You guys get five stars too ( along with your high-fives) for going the “extra” mile there with those super high ceilings. Sounds like the team work really paid off. I would have been such a grouch if i had to go up and down that ladder all day. It looks fantastic! I’m working on the other half of my ceiling this week so I feel your pain ( in the neck ).

All the kudos really go to Tyson on this project. Every time we’ve done a ceiling, I get about a square foot done, look at the remaining football field of ceiling that needs to get painted and start to cry. The texture is such an outrageous pain! Are you doing the ceiling in your workout space? The staining you are doing is amazing and making such a huge difference. Here’s hoping that your ceiling is quick and painless. Cheers!

4. jenn says:

Okay, seriously? I’ve painted every ceiling in our house and each time I say it’s the last one and have a pity party because I hate it. But your ceilings put my whining to shame. WOW! That is just intense – good job for finishing it up! And, without hiring! I’m so impressed :). And, on a random note – I love your kitchen island.

Ha… thanks! I’m SO glad to be done with the ceilings and hope that we never live in a space with highly textured, vaulted ceilings again. Unless, of course, they’re in a place WE don’t have to maintain. 🙂 As we are tackling this project, I keep thinking about your post on your resolution to make more time to enjoy life and keep balance. I’m hoping we can find the sweet spot to get this project done and not let it be all consuming. Should be interesting…

Thanks, Nova. I think our huge projects are always done because we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into. If nothing else, they keep our home interesting.