Scope Creep

Our home is very open and you can see many of the rooms from different angles. It’s one of the features we absolutely loved about the place when we first saw it and we have had tons of fun playing with color and accent walls within the space.  In fact, I recently realized we have 15 different paint colors throughout our home.  Saying we aren’t afraid of color is maybe an understatement.

However, I’ve noticed the trend of having multi-colored walls within a room is getting… dare I say it… a bit dated.  I don’t know… I still like the idea, but I’m just not seeing the trend of accent walls as much as I once did.  And there are spots in our home that could use some freshening up.  So since we had the paint, tarps and ladders out, our little kitchen project crept into a few other areas too.

In our dining room we had an accent wall that we both were kinda done with.

Accent Wall

Tyson was feeling like the red was played out so he wanted to update that. For me, I wanted to say goodbye to the accent wall all together. We killed two birds and continued the taupe that was in the rest of the room and kitchen across that wall.

Dining Room Wall

This wall also bends down the stairs, around into the family room.

Old Paint Meets New Paint

We decided to cover the lower wall (which is a part of the family room) with Chocolate Sparkle to shift that room from having three colored walls to two.

Lower Family Room Wall

Tyson’s not super excited about the stark contrast where the two colors meet, but I like that the new paint balances and streamlines the colors that you see when you are in a particular room.

New New Paint

We also needed to paint this cut-out on our stairs.  This house has more pot shelves and niches than I know what to do with.  But that is a discussion for another post.

Cut-out Before

We will eventually frame in the shelf with molding (and possibly lighting) to accent this spot.

Painted Shelf

I also came home from picking up more paint and Tyson was ready to tackle this small hall off the family room.

Hall Before

More neutral paint… yes, please.

Hall After

The doors getting a coat of paint and some trim are also on our “to-do” list.  Someday… someday…  For now, the painting is complete and I’m happy to be living without tarps and tools everywhere.

Do your projects creep into other areas? How have trends and/or your tastes changed over the last few years?  And since I have kitchens on the brain, I thought I’d share this article on Hot Kitchen Trends for 2013.  Lots of things that we are considering which is always encouraging.  See any new ideas that inspire you?

1. Suzi says:

I love how the kitchen is elevated an open to the living area and is that your cute pooch resting on the kitchen floor. I do like that you tauped the red, colors are great but it can be tricky especially with an open floor plan. As long as you like your palette that’s what matters just remember when it comes time to sell that’s where neutral always wins. Thanks for sharing this project, Suzi the Realtor

Thanks, Suzi. Yes… those are our sweet dogs snoozing while we work. They like to think they are helping.

I love that… “Neutral always wins”. We do love the colors in our home, but we know that down the road we will be wanting to sell and that is the kind of thing we are starting to think about now. Although it won’t be for several years, we want to be ready. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by!

Wow! You guys are really kicking butt on this painting! I love all your color choices and although I’m a big lover of accent walls ( I have a few in my house, too) I like how painting over the red changed the space for you. It looks really clean and fresh.

Your house is so cool, Danielle. I love the split levels and the gorgeous and interesting views from each room. I remember growing up my parents bought a house like this (I guess I was in 3rd grade). Every part of the house was UP or DOWN and it was so much fun. It was probably one of my favorite childhood homes.
    Seeing yours always reminds me of that time.

Love Tyson’s head rag! Richie always wears those when he works and it always lets me know he’s serious about “getting it done”. Obviously Tyson’s is too. I’m still freaked at how fast you did this. JEALOUS! I’m still painting ceilings!

It looks great. A fresh coat of paint can totally change your life and home. Great job!

• admin says:

So I’m just now getting back to comments after the big switch-a-roo. I think I’ve got everything running and I’m hugely thankful for all your help. You’re the best! Seriously… I truly appreciate all of your encouragement.

3. Sarah says:

I like the changes! I think neutral walls are definitely more easy to work with. My style has definitely gone from loving bright colors, to doing all neutrals, to embracing some bright colors (in accessories and fabrics) again!

• admin says:

Thanks, Sarah. We’ve been really enjoying the new neutral walls and still can’t get over how much it has opened the space up. And I’m definitely embracing the idea of working with color more in my accessories. I’m really looking forward to the easy of changing things up as the mood strikes me, instead of being restricted by the colors I have on the walls. Hopefully this won’t spur a desire to repaint everything in the house. 🙂

you guys are on a roll!!!! painting is no small project. lookin’ good, guys! (so many nooks and crannies in your crib! ha 🙂 )

• admin says:

Ha! Yes… we have a crazy amount of nooks and crannies and I’m still not sure what to do with all of them. They make for a very unique space that we love.