Personalized Paperwhites

After a whirlwind week of playing with blog administration stuff, I think everything has successfully switched over and I can get back to the fun part of telling stories.  If you are reading this… congratulations.  We both made it!!  And a huge thanks for being patient and keeping up with me through this transition.

During the holidays, I saw these pots at Target and picked one up to give to a friend.

Plain Flower Pot

They come with paperwhite bulbs which I love.  Paperwhites always remind me that Spring is just around the corner and the winter grays will be ending soon.  I thought this would be a neat gift, especially once I personalized it with a little chalkboard paint.

When I got home, I gathered my supplies:

Paint Supplies

• Painters Tape
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Decorative Scissors

1. Pull off strips of tape and cut them down the center with decorative scissors to get two identical strips with scalloped edges.  Do this twice to get enough tape to create a rectangle.

Taped Flower Pot

Tip: How big you make the chalkboard area can be determined ahead of time by writing the word you will write in chalk on a piece of paper and measuring how much surface area you’ll need.  I guessed on the size I wanted and it ended up being only enough room for a small word.  Luckily my friend’s name is short, but lesson learned.

2.  Once you have the taped area marked off for painting, put the entire pot in a bag and tape it off so that only the area of the pot you want paint on is exposed.

Prepped & Ready to Paint

3. Spray with chalk paint.

4. When the paint is still slightly wet, pull off the tape and let everything fully dry.

Finished Flower Pot

5. Rub chalk over the dried paint and personalize.

This was such an easy gift to customize.  My only disappointment was that Target was sold out when I went back for more.  I’ll definitely pick-up extra next season.

Have you done anything with Chalkboard paint lately?  What was the last store bought item you put your own personal twist on?  Have you gone back for more of something only to discover the store has run out?  It’s such a bummer!

This is so pretty, Danielle! I have a thing for chalkboard paint (you already know that!)
    I especially love it when it’s used on pots, cans, bins, and containers… it’s so cool!
    Your blog looks beautiful. Nice work. Don’t forget to let me know about the Analytics after you get things going. THANKS!

• admin says:

Thanks and a HUGE thank you for being the first to comment so that I know that indeed this post went out into the world. 🙂 I’m still playing with the Analytics (I’m not sure I have it all set-up correctly), but I’ll most definitely let you know what I think.

• Stacey says:

Just so you know, I never did receive an email notice. I just popped by to see what you were up to. I figured you had probably completed the move. Did you move the subscribers over or should I submit email again. It’s no problem but I didn’t want to do it again just in case you were still tweaking stuff. It looks great!

• admin says:

Oooh… that’s really good to know. I’m working on moving the email subscribers now, but I don’t have you on my original subscriber list so you may need to re-submit your info. That is a little concerning though… hope I’m not missing anyone else. I’m so looking forward to having all of this in my rearview mirror.

• Stacey says:

That is weird because I’ve been receiving email from you since day one. No worries at all, I’ll submit again and make sure I stay in the loop. There’s lots of little bumps when moving so it’s all good. 🙂

• admin says:

So interesting… you popped up as an email subscriber AND as a wp.com subscriber on my self-hosting site today. I’m curious… did you resubscribe to one or both? You are the one and only subscriber that is showing up from wp.com That could be very telling for all of us.

• Stacey says:

FREAKY! This afternoon I went to your site and subscribed through your sidebar widget and it sent me an email to confirm. I did, and that was it. Has anyone else tried to subscribe through the new site? Totally crazy. Oh well… as long as I get one (maybe two – ha ha ha!) notices.

• admin says:

Weird! I have had a few subscriber through the Jetpack widget, but I had my mom sign-up (yay for moms!) through the feedburner link and she is not showing up. So I pulled that down… I’m not sure I will use it. I feel like there is a puzzle piece missing somewhere and I am determined to find it. I’ll be doing another post later in the week. I’m curious to see if you get two notifications. I promise not to flood your in box. 🙂

• admin says:

Thanks, Christy. They are one of my favorites too and oddly enough I always buy them for friends and never for myself. I need to change that. Thanks also for leaving a comment… it’s a big help in knowing that everything is working correctly on my new server. 🙂

HEY! You moved!! I didn’t get an email either… but I saw your post on the comment luv link. I am thinking the switching subscribers is not as effective as I thought. (Stacey and a few others didn’t comment on my post, which they would have if they got an email) Looks like my champagne was premature. Did you get an email from mine?

I wish you lived nearby so that we could chat all about this thing… your site looks great. So I guess transition went smoothly for you? Are you going to use jetpack for email subs? (I am) What is Stacey asking you about Analytics above?

Anyway… about your actual post… ha ha. cute idea! I laughed at the “good thing my friend’s name is short” and I didn’t know chalkboard came in a spray can! Good to know!!

• Stacey says:

Victoria… DRINK UP LADY! … I did get your email. But I had just emailed you a day earlier about how awesome your site came out and I wanted to give you a break from comments. HA HA ! I’ll go back and HIT YOU and MAKE you reply to ANOTHER one. (I’m sofa king evil like that!)

• admin says:

Yes… I have officially moved and switching the subscribers has not happened. I’ve contacted wp.com to make sure at least my email subscribers make the jump, but I haven’t heard from them yet. I’m definitely using the jetpack for email subs and I’m hoping to use blog lovin, but I’m having issues with that too. I discovered last night that some of my email wasn’t set-up correctly so I’m on day two of handling that. So many details!!!!!

Stacey and I are talking about using Google Analytics to track information to the site. I’ve heard lots of recommendations for it, but I’m still playing around with it. Stacey uses stat counter, but I’m not sure which one is better or how they are different. So many options!!!!!

FYI… I did not get an email notification about your new post. I just dropped by to see how things were going and saw the new update. I’m going to subscribe now so that I don’t miss a single pearl of wisdom. Your posts always brighten my day.

Chalkboard paint comes in a spray can and it’s fabulously easy. It makes you want to turn everything into a chalkboard because it’s that easy. You’ve been forewarned.

• Victoria Elizabeth Barnes says:

Sigh. I’m trying to tell myself that wp.com readers are not my ONLY readers. And if I don’t bring them with me, it’s okay… and I need to just move on and enjoy the new blog. (Although I secretly fear my only readers ARE .com bloggers)

I’m telling myself that, but I can’t say it’s working. Also, in my first comment here yesterday, my name is hyperlinking to a faulty address. We’ll see what happens with this one.

YOU MOVED!!! I like Victoria didn’t get an email and checked your site b/c I’ve been trying to email you back via regular email but it keeps bouncing back.

If you still have your old WP.com account, write a note to everyone as a last post to transfer your new site to their WP readers. It doesn’t automatically do it. Also join BlogLovin. Once you get on there it will change how you read blogs.

One of these days I need to do something with chalk paint. I just don’t know what. That’s super cute!

• admin says:

So the awesomeness of yesterday was to discover that my storypiece email was bouncing… yay! I’m so sorry about that. I actually discovered it when trying to join BlogLovin. I wasn’t getting the confirmation email. I think I have everything worked out, but I’m still not getting a confirmation from them… through storypiece or my work email. So huge favor… can you resend me what you were trying to send out yesterday. It shouldn’t be bouncing any more. Fingers-crossed. I’m trying to figure out if the new issue is on my end or BlogLovin’s. Thanks!

• admin says:

Thanks and good luck with your move. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. There are a few of us that have been messaging back and forth and I’d be happy to share info. Not sure I can help, but I can definitely commiserate. 🙂

Thanks, Beth! I’m excited myself to try this project out again with all the cute decorative edge tapes that have come out this year. I think they will make this project even easier. Thanks again for including me in the round-up. There were some truly wonderful ideas.