Home Again

My family and I are back in Portland and I wanted to say a huge “thank you” to everyone that sent me comments or notes about Glenn.  It has been an incredibly hard couple of weeks and the only thing more painful than saying good-bye to my step-dad was saying good-bye to my mom and heading back home.  Living 1200 miles away from her has never sucked more than it does right now.

Over the last two weeks I’ve learned a couple of things:

First, to all my friends who have lost a parent or spouse, I am so very sorry.  The depth of that hurt is like no other and I had no idea.  Numerous people reached out to us in tremendous ways for which I am truly thankful.  I now know a bit more how to love on others during such a loss and will be paying forward the generosity we received.

Secondly, if you need or want to do something, make an active point to get it done.  If you need to make an appointment, do it.  Want to lose 10 lbs., get on it.  Be confident in where you are spending eternity, reconcile that relationship that is broken, take care of that project that’s long overdue… whatever it is (and you KNOW what it is) make it happen. Procrastination is a thief.  There will come a point for each and every one of us where all those opportunities will be gone.  It will be too late.  Sorry to be such a downer, but if it’s important, get to it.  Love fearlessly and let the rest go.

As things get back to a new normal, I’m looking forward to writing and sharing life stories with you again.  Thank you for walking this part of the road with me and letting me share my heart here.  It means everything to me.

The most fitting way to wrap-up this post and the last few weeks is to tell you that tonight, Tyson and I are getting to see Jim Breuer perform at a local comedy club.  Most people know him from SNL, but we have loved him since he riffed AC/DC performing The Hokey Pokey.  It’s genius!  If you have not read his book “I’m Not High”, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a copy TODAY.  He is an amazing storyteller and his book is funny, genuine and full of heart.  His documentary “More Than Me” about taking his 84 year old Dad on his comedy tour hit iTunes this week and I can’t wait to see it.  The dude knows how to honor his Dad.

If you’re a Breuer fan, we should definitely talk.  Shoot me a note in the comments below.

Not a downer at all. This was sweet and uplifting, Danielle. Such a tragedy can be so difficult but can also teach you so many things. That third paragraph is more true for me today than ever! I made all my Dr. Appts last week, kissed the people I love, working out for my health, doing work to a home I love and enjoying all my online friends. Such a great reminder of making the most of the time we are offered. It goes fast, doesn’t it?

Sounds like a night out to see Jim Breuer is just what you guys need. Enjoy, laugh, and have a great time! Hugs for you all.

• admin says:

It’s so true… you get a healthy dose of perspective when dealing with this kind of thing. Someone told me that at times like these, we often ask ourselves if we are living as we should. And like you, I’m thankful that I can answer that with an emphatic YES! Treasuring where I am and who I am and who is in my life. It goes way too fast and I want to savor every moment of it. Along with the sadness our trip included a lot of laughter at the absurdity of it all… because sometimes you just have to laugh. Looking forward to more of that tonight. Cheers!

i am so sorry, danielle. i’m not sure how i missed your last post, but i did. i just went back to read that one, too. i had no idea you were going through this the last couple weeks. i am so sorry to hear about your loss and am thinking of you and your family, especially your mom. nothing can take away the pain, but support can get you through. glad we can be there for you and that you shared with us. enjoy jim breuer tonight and appreciate a life lived well. peace.

• admin says:

It has been a surreal couple of a weeks, but a good time with family. My dad lived his life as a party in progress which everyone was invited to. That resulted in a huge outpouring of love and support, but it also left a big hole too.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. So thankful to have our paths cross and count you as one of my online friends. 🙂

Great post Danielle, and I totally agree about your sentiments of living life for right now and doing what you can do while you can b/c sometimes we don’t get another day. Much love to your entire family!

Your thoughts on being present are a powerful reminder of how easy it is to be distracted from what’s truly important.

It’s wonderful to be with family, even when it’s sad. And I find that nothing reminds me more, of what is really truly valuable… my sympathies about your mom in particular. I can imagine how agonizing it is for you to not be near her right now.

• admin says:

Oh my word… it’s amazing being with family any time and there were moments when I cried because I was laughing so hard at the sheer ridiculousness of decisions we had to make. We all grieve in different ways and something that is meaningful to one person is “eww, no thanks” to another. Planning a funeral is crazy pants!