Furniture Shuffle – Part 1

While I was having the most adrenaline fueled day of my life, Tyson was running home after dropping me at the airport so that he could greet the latest addition to our family:

Pearce Sectional

Yes… we picked the Pearce Sectional by Pottery Barn and scored a smoking hot deal on this bad boy.

And because it would be two weeks before my tush could test run our newest lounge spot, Tyson sent me photos of the sectional in it’s new home.

Text Pics

Have I mentioned how much I love that my man gets just as excited about this kind of stuff as I do?  It was so fun to get photos of his perspective on the new piece.

But before I introduce you to the new sectional, let me back up and give you a little “before”. Our red sofa has served us faithfully for 16 years and was ready for a new location.  After all that time, I still think the color is awesome, but not in this space.

Big Red

The bookcase my crew gave me for Mother’s Day a few years ago and we weren’t sure if we would leave it on the blue wall or switch it over to the dark brown.

Bookcase

Luckily, we knew about the delivery ahead of time and cleared out the room the night before.  It’s nice having a son old enough to help move the heavy stuff.

Insta-Empty Room

So want to see what I was seeing 1200 miles away?  Some of these are iPhone photos that Tyson texted to me so please forgive the quality.

It’s huge!  This made me a little nervous.  I was shooting messages back asking “Do you like it?  Did we make a mistake?”

Pearce Sectional

Our red sofa we had floating off the wall which I loved.  However, because of the scale of the sectional, Tyson pushed it back to the wall.

Pearce

He also brought in an end table and lamp from another area of the house and the room started to take a little more shape.

And of course the boys took a look at the new sectional and decided it was missing something. Dog schmootz.  They remedied that within the first two minutes of the piece’s arrival.

Dog Decor

Anticipating their antics, we chose Pottery Barn’s washable suede and this cleaned up easily.  The boys are now trying to convince me that it needs dog hair on it too.  I think not.

The sectional is incredibly comfy and much deeper than our last one.  It’s pretty much the perfect spot for TV watching.

Armchair And Ottoman

Tyson also opted to leave the bookcase on the blue wall and we are living with it that way for now.  I’m not sure if it will remain this way, but it’s nice to have someone else define the space and then we can tweak things as we go.

Bookcase

We have a lot of beige going on and between the family-room and the kitchen, I’m really having to remind myself that we’re in transition with the fun, colorful part just around the corner.

The ottoman is getting returned to a friend and we are looking forward to having a new coffee table down the road.  Not sure what it will be, but it will definitely have a different texture to mix things up.

Changes to Come

The arm chair will need an update too.  It’s currently slip-covered and the fabric is too matchy-matchy with the sectional for my taste.  We’re considering reupholstering, giving it a new slip-cover or replacing it all together.  But for now it stays as-is in the land of beige.

The Land of Beige

Our red sofa has been relocated to another spot in the house, but since this is getting so long, you’ll have to wait for Part 2.  Let’s just say we’re still in negotiations on what is going on with that.

Have you recently purchased any large furniture items? Do you have any tricks or rules of thumb for determining furniture placement? Ever been far from home while big changes are a foot?  It’s equal parts terrifying and freeing.  I highly recommend it.

• Paula says:

Well done. When you said color I thought of blue. I love the blue wall and the dark table lamp against it. Since you already have nuetral tones I thought why not shades of blue.

Thanks cuz! We’ve got a lot of drama going on in other parts of the house, but our family room is pretty tranquil. It might be time to give it a boost. How is your remodel going? Hope you are having fun in the crazy process. 🙂

Looking nice and cozy! Nice that you scored a good deal on it. That’s the best feeling. It’s so funny b/c I just finished editing my post on bringing home our sectional. Don’t feel that yours is too big, it’s never to big to lounge and be comfy on!!!

• admin says:

I’ve been wondering when you are going to share yours. Can’t wait to see it and hear all about it!

Ours was the perfect spot for us to all pile on and enjoy the Oscar’s last night. I’m definitely starting to get use to the size and it just feels like it’s filling in the space like it’s suppose to. And thanks for the tip on going with the arms on both ends instead of the chaise. It think I would’ve been dissapointed if we had gone with a chaise.

How exciting! The sofa looks really good in the space. Not too big AT ALL! Actually it looks just the right size for napping. And from what I can tell it’s super comfy…. dog schmootz and all!

I’m really diggin’ that blue paint color too. The lamp goes perfect with it. GO TYSON!

• admin says:

Thanks! The lamp is one of my very favorites. It actually came from Tyson’s grandparents and it’s one of those special pieces that we ended up with after their passing. We greatly adored his folks and I can’t imagine ever parting with the lamp. Good eye, lady!

Am I the only one who thinks the red sofa looks fantastic for being 16 years old? The new one does put it to shame, but it looks like it was still holding its own before it got overshadowed…

Doesn’t look too big to me… looks like it fits perfectly in the shape of the room. Plus, adjusting to a new arrangement like that always looks weird until you get used to it.

• admin says:

Ha… you are so right! I’m definitely getting more use to the size and I love the new sectional. A lot of the furniture has been shuffled around throughout the house and I’m really fighting to not make adjustments and trying to just live with things as-is for a while. Tyson made a lot of great choices, but it all feels different and weird. Plus my type-A tendencies want to weigh-in on everything so that’s always fun.

We moved the red sofa to another part of the house so we could hold onto it for awhile longer. We figure it is in decent shape and since we will have kids moving out sooner than later, it will be a good piece to send them on their way with.

4. Gilit says:

I love the couch! The room is really nice and cozy and I can totally see how your space is going to come together so beautifully. It’s so great that your husband totally gets it!

• admin says:

Thanks! We are truly enjoying the way this space is coming together. We haven’t done a lot with it since we knew we would someday get a new furniture. It’s so fun to have “someday” be finally here.

looks great! and i’d never have guessed the red number was 16! you guys take care of your stuff! looking forward to part II. i love the photo frame arrangement on the wall, too! you guys must be having fun!

• admin says:

You are too, too sweet! We actually always tease each other that we can’t handle having nice stuff. We always ding, scratch, spill on, tear, etc. whatever new thing we get. And if we don’t, we have a dog, kid, or friend that does. That’s why we went for the industrial strength, easy clean fabric. Fingers crossed this sectional will look as good 16 years from now.

6. Kristi Akers says:

Ohh! I love it! Like the blue wall still – think it would be great to get some fun blue patterned fabric for th chair – the joys of finding the perfect fabric! Also like the pillow on the chair 😉

Oh my fabric seeking friend! We need to meet for lunch and a stroll around Fabric Depot. That’s almost a midway point between the two of us. Or the quilt shop in Oregon City!! Yes! Let’s plan this!!

7. Elizabeth says:

Just reading up on the Pottery Barn Pearce and found your blog! How are you liking it? I have been eyeing this exact couch for months and MONTHS and everytime I think I have made the decision to buy it I back out. It is on sale right now though, so I feel like I need to act fast! Any feedback you have would be appreciated!

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you for stopping by and asking. It’s a pretty big commitment (even on sale) and I totally get your hesitation. I can tell you that after 9 months, we truly LOVE our Pearce and haven’t regretted the purchase for a second. It’s well made and my family feels completely spoiled when we all gather on it for movie night.

A couple of tips: We were able to use a coupon (that Pottery Barn emailed me) on top of their sale in order to get a better price. Also we went into a showroom and ordered it there (instead of online) and they waived the delivery fees. Not sure if those are options for you, but something to ask about before buying.

If you end up making the purchase, please come back and let me know what you think. Best of luck!

• Elizabeth says:

Thanks so much for sharing! I’ve ordered a couple of pieces from PB before, but never been able to get a delivery waived!! How did you manage??

I think they waived the delivery fee since we ordered it in the store, but it may have been something that was just a part of the sale promo too. We’ve always had to pay it too, so I know it was a unique circumstance.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!