Out with the Old and In with the New.

Our weekend of new molding got quickly sidelined when Tyson was pulled back into a work project and I came down with a bug.  The beauty of not feeling well (especially when you are knee deep in a DIY that has left your home in chaos with tarps and molding EVERYWHERE) is that you kinda don’t care if it all comes to a screeching halt.  In between naps, I was glad to catch-up on reading and invest an insane amount of time in “The Big Bang Theory”.  I’m not sure I’m their target demographic, but I can’t not watch that show now.

And so our weekend project fell to Monday and Tuesday this week.  Luckily the trim was all painted and it was just a matter of removing the old molding and installing the new.

A few things you should know:

• We LOVE big, chunky molding.  Most of the modern homes in the Pacific Northwest have plain, stained wood for the base molding, door frames and doors.  We looked at a ton of homes before moving up here and it’s a pretty standard feature.  And it’s not one that we enjoy.  So it has become our mission to slowly change out the molding throughout our home.  It’s one of those projects that is so simple and makes a huge difference.
  • My husband likes to tackle DIY projects like this in a “mass production” style.  This means that since he was looking to change out the molding in the kitchen, why not take care of some of the door frames and base moldings down the hall too?  If you’re gonna get the supplies out to paint 7 trim pieces, why not maximize it and do more? Me… I just want it ALL done, so let’s get to it.

The Kitchen Window and Slider

Before:  Too much brown!  I was ready to start painting the casings back in January just to get a little contrast going on.

Kitchen Molding Before

During:

Kitchen ProcessInstalling Trim

After: So much better already!

Installed Kitchen Molding

Even though the frames need to be painted before this job can be checked off the list, I’m already happier to introduce white into this area.

Updated Kitchen & Door-Detail

The Hall Closet and Bathroom Doors

Before:  The hall is long and narrow and a pain to photograph.

Hall Before-View 2Hall-Before

We’ve already updated the kids bedroom doors and getting the remaining doors done will be a huge step in finishing the space.

Finished Bedroom Doors

After: Although it’s hard to get the full effect, just adding the new molding has already bumped up the look of the space.  I can’t wait to update the doors and change out the hardware.

Installed Hall MoldingInstalled Hall Molding-View 2

The Master Bedroom Doors

Before: This set of doors sit at the top of our stairs and are one of the first things you see from the main living area.  They are sad and plain.

Master Bedroom Doors-Before

After:  Already a vast improvement!.  They need to get finished quickly, because the molding only enhances their eyesore-ness.

Master Bedroom Doors-Update

Now that the molding is installed, it’s my job to begin patching and caulking the miles of trim that we’ve just added.  Up first is the kitchen and I cannot wait!  Now if only my body would return to it’s normal energy level.

How do you like to tackle DIY projects?  What is a small change that you’ve made that has had a big impact? Everyone else keeping it healthy? Sheldon would be proud.

Love it Danielle! It already looks more fresh and modern. You’ve inspired me to paint my doors. I have wanted to paint the back of my main door red for a long time now and springs coming and so begins painting and garage building projects.

• admin says:

Oooh… I bet that will be so pretty! I’ve noticed that you’ve pinned a few pics with that look and it’s always striking. And that’s one of those projects that I find I end up spending WAY more time thinking about it than it actually takes to do it. Can’t wait to see it finished.

BIG BRIGHT WONDERFUL improvement. It’s so amazing what white paint can do. I’m such a lover of big chunky white trim. Our current home has very little trim but our last one was built in the 20’s and it was stacked tall and wide. I loved it. All the white trim made every window, door, and wall just pop with pretty!

This is a big job you guys… but so worth all the effort. Looks amazing. That’s funny that we’re all painting doors. I see Alex has the bug and I’m in the middle of painting two doors. HA HA! YES, don’t you love the energy spring brings. Glad you’re feeling better, Danielle.

• admin says:

I just finished the kitchen frames and the chunky molding makes me SO happy! It also makes me impatient and excited for all that still has to get done. The job IS feeling huge, but with each finished step, I start getting all twitchy and wanting to know what else needs paint. Nothing is safe at this point.

Tyson has been looking at MidCentury Moderns again and I know that will be a look we’ll seek out in our next place for sure. Have you ever done a post about your last house? I know that you mention it from time to time, but it would be so fun to see a contrast between the two styles.

3. Gilit says:

It already made such a big difference! And the windows in your kitchen are making me swoon….
    People keep telling me to watch The Big Bang Theory, is it worth it?

• admin says:

Everyone has been telling me about The Big Bang Theory too and the jury is still out at our house. I keep watching it to see if I “get” what all the hype is about. The characters are funny, but slightly annoying. However, I felt the same way about “How I Met Your Mother”, and now it’s one of my favorites. 🙂

4. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

I am WITH you about chunky molding. You cannot get molding big enough to make me happy. It’s like makeup… it looks “fine” without it, but once you put it on, it just looks so much better… I guess by that analogy I’m going to be the woman wearing too much makeup.

I hate those tedious tasks and always want to put them off, but it’s great when the other person forces you to really get started!! Looks great!!

• admin says:

Ha! The make-up analogy is dead on. And I approach it the same way I do my make-up… with a lot of “do I really need to do THAT today?”. Then when I run into someone I know at the grocery store, it’s like “Yay… so glad I look pulled together. I should buy new lipstick.”

5. jenn says:

Wow, this makes a HUGE difference! As someone who just finished miles of caulking and painting trim, I don’t envy you having to finish all this, but it will be so amazing when it’s completely done. Such a great upgrade! 🙂

• admin says:

Thanks! I know EXACTLY what you guys have been dealing with and with each section that gets finished, it gets more and more exciting. Love your kitchen and hope you are looking forward to entertaining and enjoying the space. Can’t wait to be there.

lookin’ good as always, danielle! little by little (or a lot by a lot), your pad is really getting a make over!!