Furniture Shuffle – Part 2

Last night I dreamt about furniture.  Specifically, I was helping a friend figure out how they were going to arrange 4 sofa sets in their home.

4 sets.

That’s a sofa with a love seat.

And in my sleep, I kept thinking, “if only they weren’t so ugly, this would be easier”. Because if you are trying to arrange 8 large pieces of furniture in a room, the obvious problem is the fabric, right?  But in dreamland, my brain kept trying to work thru fabric choices that would be so much better.  Then it all overflowed into fabric choices for the new chair in our family room.

This can only mean two things:  1) It’s time for me to put down the design magazines.  2) An updated post on our living room situation is seriously overdue.

For those that are new around here, last month I shared about our new sectional and our hopes for a new coffee table and overstuffed chair.

Changes to Come

Last night, I was literally dreaming about this chair.  But in blue.

TuftedSlipperChair

Sadly, Tyson doesn’t love it for our space.  So the hunt continues…

But let’s talk about what happened to our old red sofa.

Big Red

A few of you mentioned what great condition it is in for being 16 years old and I totally agree.  With our oldest wrapping up his junior year in high school, we know we want to hold onto it for a few more years instead of sending it to Goodwill or Craigslist-ing it.  It’s a sofa sleeper and could be a good starter piece for someone’s new apartment…. someday…  WAY down the road.  But I digress.

Anyhow, we moved the red sofa to the “formal” living room and I’ve fallen in love with it all over again.  The sofa is really comfortable and the larger piece invites more people into the area to just hang out.

A New Home for Old Red

However, we have an interesting problem.  We can’t decide on the actual furniture placement for the room.  Over the last month, we’ve lived with it in several variations and we are still undecided.  If we were to remove everything and design the area with an unlimited budget, we know exactly what we would do.  However, for one reason or another, all of the pieces need to stay in the space and that makes things tricky.

Here’s what we are looking at:

Option 1: Open Layout

Sofa On Wall

We can place the sofa along the wall and have an open sitting area.  This layout allows you to be see everything in the house and feels very open and inviting.  It also feels like everything is jammed up against the wall.

Option 2: T Layout

Sofa Off Wall

We’ve also considered floating the sofa, T-ing it out from the wall.  It creates two distinct areas (a living room and a dining room) and provides an intimate sitting space to enjoy.  It also feels like the room is more cut-off, but it’s nice not having everything up against the walls.

So there you have it.  The set-up for my very first poll.  Help a sister out and vote because we could seriously use your input. We want to know which is YOUR favorite layout!

Sofa On Wal l- View2Sofa Off Wall - View2

[poll id=”2″]

Sofa On Wall - View3

Sofa Off Wall - View3

If you have additional comments or suggestions, I seriously want to hear those too.

How do you handle weird decorating dilemma’s?  Do you drag your family and friends into the fray? Do you have odd dreams or get your husband to move furniture all over the house until you reach a resolution?  My guy is the best!

Based on your pics, I’d do #1. But I understand your dilemma. I too love the cozy nooks. It’s one of those things that sometimes you have to feel it within the context of the entire room. That is I am guessing your fireplace is behind the red couch as part of the room…or is it a completely diff room? Either way, the red couch looks amazing there!!!

• admin says:

You are so right! I think you do have to feel it within the context of the entire room. Sitting in the room, I’m leaning toward one arrangement, but looking at the pictures I’m leaning the other way. Decisions, decisions…

The fireplace is in a completely different room. Probably should’ve taken a full shot of the space. Wonder if Tyson’s ready to move furniture again. 🙂

2. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

Umm… I LOVE that slipper chair! It would look FANTASTIC in blue… in my house! Also, not a bad price! (Although may be total junk, that won’t last 16 years…)

I voted for #1… I don’t think it looks smashed against the wall at all… and it’s a shame to cover the window seat/distract from the bookcases.

• admin says:

I love that chair so much! You should buy it. Betty Draper would approve. They use to sell it in the perfect blue and now I can’t find it. That’s probably a good thing… otherwise Tyson wouldn’t be able to shut me up about it.

Thanks for your input. Blocking the window seat is something that we discussed too. Maybe if we put the sofa on the wall we could add the slipper chair to this area. Hmmm… I like the way you think, Victoria.

All I can think about is laying down on that couch and taking a long nap… it doesn’t matter where you put it! HA HA! It’s been one of those weeks so I’m totally serious.

It’s such a pretty pop of color in the room I feel like when it’s against the wall it gets more attention and it invites you to move in for a nap! Or at least a quick rest and a glass of wine. (can you tell I’m tired!)

Tyson won’t go for the chair, huh? What kind would he like? Inquiring minds want to know.

• admin says:

I’d be lying if I said that the sofa hasn’t seen a little more napping action since the move into this area of our home. It’s a pretty great spot. And it definitely gets more attention with the open floor plan.

As for the chair… we have been talking about an oversized slipper chair, so I’m not entirely sure. He would love, love, LOVE a leather arm chair, if we could find one that worked in the space and we didn’t have to give up a kidney for.

4. Gilit says:

I ALWAYS dream about my design dilemmas. Then I wake up with an “AHA!” and realize that my dream didn’t take real measurements into account. I vote for #1 but I always always find that living with something for awhile makes it clear whether it works or not. Either way that couch is amazeballs. Enjoy!

• admin says:

Ha! I’m going to have to start using “amazeballs” because that totally made me laugh! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who dreams through design problems and I typically don’t I account for real measurements either. I wake up feeling so brilliant and then it doesn’t work. 🙂 I think the weirdest part of this dream was that it was so distinctly in color.

Thanks for sharing your vote. We lived with it one way and now we are trying something new and it’s giving me a clearer idea of where to go from here. Plus I’m getting some other great ideas in the process. Thanks!

5. Laurice says:

Well my sweet friend, from a non- designers perspective, I think you should use the T option. I remember sitting in that room when we were there and LOVED the close intimate feeling of the room ( btw, I hope you haven’t gotten rid of the old sofa that was there…. I personally think it was fabulous!) of course both of you have a great gift of design and It will look wonderful any way you decide:)

• admin says:

Thanks, girlie! The little loveseat is heading to Tyson’s cousin’s house. We were desperately trying to find another place in our home for it, but there’s just no good spot. I’m so sad. It’s staying in the family though and if Jenny and Aaron aren’t using it, maybe we’ll get it back in a few years.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!