Learn How to Build an Awesome Sofa Table in a Weekend

Narrow Sofa Table | Storypiece.net

They say that behind every successful man is a brilliant woman.  Well, I’m proud to announce that behind our old king of sofas is a table fit for a queen.

Living Room Update | Storypiece.net

Okay… that might be a bit of a stretch.  None the less, I’m still pretty excited about our latest addition: this custom made narrow sofa table.

It all started with the Pinterest Challenge.  As I was looking through all the submissions, this went down:

Me: Hey… take a look at this.

Him: We should do that.

Me: I KNOW!

Him: I’ll go get the supplies.

Most of our conversations don’t normally roll like this.  However, when they do and they’re coupled with Tyson having a hole in his work schedule, we run with the idea before anything changes.

Before getting into the project itself, I should probably back up and give you a quick update on the space.  In March, I asked you all to weigh in on the furniture arrangement in our formal living area.  We had the sofa against the wall at one point and then T-ed it out to see how we liked living with it that way.

Sofa On Wall | Storypiece.netSofa Off Wall | Storypiece.net

The truth is, I hate having all the furniture shoved up against the walls.  But Tyson felt like the sofa was cutting off the sitting area.  The interesting thing was that as soon as we moved the sofa into the middle of the room, everyone kinda stopped using the space.  I (stubbornly) continued to sit there, but found myself sitting sideways on the sofa so that I could see the rest of the house.

So we recently decided to move the sofa back, but not up against the wall.  We planned on purchasing a table to put behind the sofa so that we could add lamps and bring additional lighting to the area.  At night, the space is desperate for more light.

Floating Sofa | Storypiece.net

Then the Pinterest Challenge came along and I ran across this solution created by Chandler from All Precious & Pleasant.  Tyson and I both knew this would be a quick and easy project with big impact for our home.  So we set out to make a table to go behind our sofa in the formal living room.

The thing is… it’s not a table at all.  It’s a shelf.  A very low, it could be a table looking shelf. Call it what you will, we were building it.

Tyson purchased a 7 foot board and trim to get started.

Board & Miter Cut Trim | Storypiece.net

After miter cutting all the trim, he glued the pieces on.  He also added strips of wood to the underside of the long board for the shelf brackets to mount to.

Glued Boards Detail | Storypiece.net

His goal was to create the illusion of a thick slab of wood for the top and he didn’t want the brackets to get tucked up inside of what he had assembled.

Support for Brackets | Storypiece.net

Once the wood glue had dried, he added finishing nails at the joints for extra durability and sanded the whole thing smooth.

Sand Before Staining | Storypiece.net

Ready To Stain | Storypiece.net

Then it was my turn to apply the wood stain.  I used Minwax’s Dark Walnut which I had left over from here, here and here.  (One little can goes far!)  I applied one even coat and immediately wiped it off so that it wouldn’t be too dark.

Custom Sofa Table | Storypiece.net

Some not so blog-worthy photos of me working… yay!

After the stain had dried, I applied three coats of polyurethane (with a light sanding in between each coat) to protect the wood.  This will be a natural place to set drinks and I want to help the wood out as much as possible.

Tyson then used wall anchors to install the shelf brackets onto the wall.

Mounted Sofa Table/Shelf | Storypiece.net

The end result was exactly what we needed for the space.  Tyson got open seating.  I got something that anchors the furniture without feeling like everything is up against the walls.

Floating Console Table | Storypiece.net

And now we have a large open wall above the “table” to fill in.  We’ve already got some ideas on what might go there, but we’re looking forward to exploring the possibilities.  Plus, this queen is ready to shop for lamps and accessories.

Living Room with Sofa Table | Storypiece.net

What do you think of the new “table”?  Any suggestions for the wall above?  How do you compromise when you and your spouse aren’t seeing eye to eye on decorating your home?

How to Easily Build a Faux Sofa Table | Storypiece.net

1. Pam says:

Very nice. He did a great job on the craftsmanship. Kudos to hubby! I think it looks very nice and will sure come in handy for a light and some decorating of course. Have fun with your wall. I wish I had that much empty wall space. I’d be hanging my art quilts on it.

Thanks! We have a few things planned for the wall, but a decorative quilt is a great suggestion. We already have a gallery wall and lots of art around the house so I’m brainstorming ideas that will be different from the norm. That’s a good one to throw into the mix.

2. Becky says:

That’s so funny! I was just thinking tonight about how I wanted a table just like that behind my sofa!

I like the look of the wood too – very cool!

Cheers, Becky

It was so easy to build ourselves and I can’t get over how much it is helping move the room toward completion. The photos don’t do it justice. This is one of those spaces in our home that has NEVER felt settled and it’s finally starting to. If you buy or make one, please let me know. 🙂

cute. creative. functional. great teamwork project!! i cannot wait to see how you decorate it. i’m crap at blank canvases, but i can totally see a tall, sleek vase with some beautiful orchids (or similar). keep us posted!!

That’s funny… We have a couple of really tall vases that I was just thinking could be really amazing in this spot. Decisions, decisions…

HA! He sometimes actually utters the words “Whatever, Baby wants” and it’s the most gleeful feeling in the world. It NEVER gets old! And it’s cheaper than diamonds… most of the time. Even if I don’t end up getting what I want, I’m still so happy.

Hey, wait a minute…

4. littleprince68 says:

HI Danielle,
    You might want to check these out: (Just copy and paste in your browser)

By the way, when you first asked for your readers opinion, I was not able to give mine because my heart was divided. But I’m so glad about your decision. I know it’s gonna be awesome once you finish it. All the best!!

Nova

5. Christina says:

Great job to both of you! I love how he beefed up the wood with the trim.

For our first couple years together, every answer from the Hubs was “No.” Once I started doing little things, he started realizing that he just couldn’t “see” the finished product in his head the way I could. So he started trusting me more and now he’s pretty much okay with anything. And he’s developing a pretty good eye himself.

Thanks! Tyson is a professional designer and illustrator, which is awesome because he has a great eye. It also means he sometimes has an opinion about things that is different from mine. 🙂 I think that’s why it’s so exciting when we both are on the same page. It feels like a no brainer.

6. Alex says:

That’s awesome! Why? B/C we so have to do this in the basement in the future. And this is a clever way of doing so. As for the wall, oh man don’t get me started. I am terrible at picking art which is why I always wind up with so many framed photos in our home. I nominate that. Orrrrr…perhaps a giant framed/poster of one of your man’s pieces of work?

It was so easy and I can’t get over how much a little thing like this makes the space feel more finished. I have a couple of ideas for the wall… I’m wanting something a little different. We have several large pieces of his artwork throughout the house and a gallery wall in the family room so I’m hoping to mix it up. 🙂 Once I get the lighting locked in, I’ll know more how to finish it.