Bright Ideas

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on last week’s lighting discussion.

Instagram Lamps | Storypiece.net

In the midst of it all, I had a bright idea and turned the lamps on.  That was when we quickly realized that the light that they cast, the way that it filled the room… sadly, we didn’t love it.  They brought a lot of harsh light into the area… even with a low wattage bulb. The light bounced off the large walls and made you feel like you were in an airplane hangar.  Not ideal for a living room.

So although the blue lamps were pretty, back to Home Goods they went.  And back to the drawing board I’m at.

Floating Console Table | Storypiece.net

But this all brought up another interesting point to consider… What kind of mood does the lighting create when you turn it on?

And interestingly enough, we recently had a much more successful lighting outcome when we purchased a new lamp for Tessa’s Purple Palace.  If you are new around here, you can read all about how we took her little girl room and made it a more teen worthy space here.

Dark Corner | Storypiece.net

Since then, we have talked quite a bit about the kind of lighting that Tess wanted to add.  I liked the idea of a hanging pendant.  However, my daughter felt that with a ceiling fixture already in the opposite corner, it was too redundant.  She really wanted a floor lamp.  We looked at several, but ultimately landed on the Room Essentials 5-Head Floor Lamp in Silver from Target.

Room Essentials Floor Lamp | Storypiece.net

Tess likes that you can bend the arms all around.  I like the metal finish.

New Lighting For The Purple Palace | Storypiece.netIt brings in a different texture and I like the way it ties in with the bedding and other silver/grey elements in the space.

Teen Room Floor Lamp | Storypiece.net

On a side note, we have also added a new end table.  I found this cute piece at Home Goods several months ago.  It’s a great size next to her chair and with a small drawer, it provides her a little extra storage.

Home Goods Side Table | Storypiece.net

But back to the lighting.  My favorite thing about it is how it makes her room look at night. The fun multi-light effect plays against the purple and creates a really rich and warm glow.  Every evening I feel like I’m walking into The Great Gatsby… if Gatsby was into purple.

Gatsby Lighting | Storypiece.net

Although it’s not a great blog photo (and doesn’t do my point justice), I thought I’d try to share a pic of how much the lighting changes the mood of the room.  It truly takes the place from bright and airy during the day into elegant and dreamy at night.

Samson Approved | Storypiece.net

Samson, our Z-Gallerie pup, totally approves of the mood lighting… day and night.

Any additional thoughts for choosing light for an space? Have you purchased any new lighting that effects the mood in a room?  Have you seen The Great Gatsby? Baz Luhrmann knows how to create a film filled with eye candy and I’m still hoping to catch his latest in a theater soon.

I know, right?! Wall lighting is an interesting option that we haven’t explored yet. I definitely know what I want to hang on the wall so if we found lighting that complimented it, I’d be all over it.

Ha! A trip to Home Goods is always a big bummer, right? 🙂 It was a little disappointing when I had to return the lamps, but I’m already excited about my next visit.

1. Sarah says:

Love the lamp in that corner – it’s perfect for a teen room. I’m not sure what your living room needs …have you thought about lamps with darker shades?

Oh Sarah… I’m not sure what are living room needs either. 🙂 I think a darker shade is a great suggestion! We brought in other lamps with darker shades from another part of the house and it definitely created a much softer look. However, they were a little small and didn’t provide enough light. Maybe something bigger with a darker shade will do it. Who knew lighting could be so tricky?!

Wow… I had no idea. Your living room always looks great! I guess that’s the interesting thing about blogging… no one really posts evening shots because photographing in anything other than natural light is not ideal. 🙂

2. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

Since your table lamps didn’t work out, maybe something hanging would be interesting? Two or three? Plus, then you don’t have to dust around them.

Although I guess that limits what you can hang on the wall… do you have any plans for that wall? I suppose that’s key in what you’ll like lighting-wise?

p.s.- your girl’s got great taste!

Tyson mentioned sconces which could be really interesting. I have something special planned for the wall (sshhh… it’s a surprise) and if I could find wall sconces that worked, it would be the highlight of my month. 🙂 That might say a lot about my month. Ha!

Ha! Yes… sconces are now apart of the discussion, but we’ve never done those before. It will be a whole new adventure. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I definitely value your designers eye.

3. Lauren @ The Thinking Closet says:

I love that purple room! And the lighting in the corner seems to really work well! A touch of whimsy. (And I haven’t seen Gatsby yet…but I’m obsessed with everything Baz Luhrmann does so it’s only a matter of time before I feast my eyes and ears on it.)