A Grand Entrance

Framing in a Doorway | Storypiece.net

Our home was built in the early 90’s and while there are a ton of things that we absolutely love about it (the layout, the space, the amazing amount of light), there are a few things that we just don’t.

For example: We love the huge vaulted ceilings, not the pot shelves.

Love & Loss | Storypiece.net

We’ve made an effort to slowly remove things like the gray tile and of course, the stained wood doors and molding.  We are still living with the mauve tile in the master bath and getting closer to saying goodbye to our kitchen cabinets.

But this post is all about the bullnose walls that came with our 20 year old home.  We’ve had a few places throughout the house that have curved room transitions instead of framed doorways.  Case in point: the entrance to our kitchen.

Bullnose Entry | Storypiece.net

Again, we love the large entrance to the room… the curved transitional walls, not so much. Our solution was to frame the bullnose in and give the doorway a more traditional look.

Tyson took this stucco entry and added some flat boards to square up the entrance.

Framed Entry | Storypiece.net

He then added big chunky molding to finish off the look.

The Molding Goes On | Storypiece.net

Did I mention that Tess was my photographer on the project?  This was another one of those things that was tackled while I was off somewhere else.  I’m not sure how this keeps happening.

On the plus side, my little photographer included some detail shots just for you.  You’re welcome.

Random Tool Pics | Storypiece.net

Before you start hating me for missing out on all the fun, know that I’m in charge of the finishing.  I’m always amazed at what a difference caulking makes to the completion of a project.

Patch Work Needed | Storypiece.netFinished Trim | Storypiece.net

Framing in the entry is a small change that gives the area a grander feel.

Grand Entrance | Storypiece.net

The transition on the interior still needs to be completed, but that will happen once the cabinets are painted.

Transitional Living | Storypiece.net

One step closer to having this kitchen wrapped up… a thousand more steps to go.

Side by Side | Storypiece.net

What are some of the more dated features of your home that you really love? Which are you eager to get rid of? Are you a fan of bullnose walls and pot shelves?  It’s okay… we can still be friends.

You can find me at:

beforeAndAfterButton_thumb1.gif

such a huge difference. i love it! and i love that tess photographed, especially the detail, ha! well done, family!! and there’s nothing like a coat of painted slapped up to give it the finishing touch. great improvement, danielle!!

Isn’t that photo so funny?! I was flipping through my camera and I was like, “What’s this?”. “Detail shots, mom.” *blink, blink* Now I know. 🙂

The trick with caulking is lots of practice and we’ve got miles of molding to do. If you ever want to drop by for a demonstration and to try it out, I’ll glad welcome you. Ha!

Totally transformed! Love this whole project and I especially love that Atari t-shirt of Tyson’s. It brings back memories of pong and how I always beat my brother. HA HA!! Okay… back to the project….. Seriously, that was time well spent and it looks chunky, rich, and good! (Now I’m craving ice cream).
    Your home projects make me want to eat ice cream and play video games.
    I’m losing it! But you guys are NOT losing it…. you’re right on track to making your home so beautiful with all the little details that take it to a whole new level.
    Grand is the perfect word. It is GRAND, indeed! Great job my fellow caulker.

Maybe I should start bribing myself with fabulous ice cream for every time I finish off an area. I swear I whine and have to psych myself up to get it done and then afterward, I’m like “That wasn’t so hard and it looks so pretty!” It’s the same conversation in my head EVERY TIME!! Ice cream would be an amazing motivator. 🙂

Ha! I never thought of it that way… we are dressing this joint up!

My biggest issue with pot shelves is that I have no idea what to do with them. But you’re absolutely right… if they come with vaulted ceilings, it totally makes up for their existence.

Trim and molding solve about 50% of decor problems in a house. The other 50 is probably paint. Love it!!! I also secretly love your pot shelf. I’m wondering what I would put in yours. Hang on I should go thrifting…

Amen to that! My hatred for the pot shelves comes primarily from not knowing what to do with them. Any and all suggestions from your talented thrift seeking self would be greatly appreciated.