Family Investment

Fall Decor | Storypiece.net

September got away from me a bit.  It’s been a busy month with back to school and I’ll be honest… it’s been harder than expected.  My son started his senior year of high school and Tess started her freshman year.  How did this happen?!

Truth be told, when either of them walk in the room, I still see them like this:

Counter Top Microwave | Storypiece

When we snapped first day of school photos and this showed up on my camera, I was beside myself.

Freshman Year | Storypiece.net

Then the photographer sent me the proofs of Evan’s senior photos and I cried.

Senior Pics | Storypiece.net

Not quite an ugly cry, but there was definitely sobbing involved.

Class of 2014 | Storypiece.net

Don’t get me wrong… I’m incredibly proud of the grown people they are becoming.  They are smart, interesting and wickedly funny individuals.  And although I don’t expect them to stay little forever, knowing that our family dynamics are barreling towards change has been hard.

I’m not a fan of change and all of this reality has left me wanting to be as present as possible with the people that are most important to me.  And they have patiently indulged me.  We’ve been hanging out watching movies together without me on my laptop sizing blog photos. We’ve been spending more time talking after school rather than everyone heading off to homework or activities or blog writing.  There’s been more investing in us for the sake of savoring our time together.  It’s been good and I’m so very thankful.

So please pardon the inconsistency around here.  There are still projects being tackled and stories to be told.  But there is also lots of time being spent with those that hold my heart the most.

My Heart | Storypiece.net

Have you ever been overwhelmed with how quickly the time goes? How do you handle change?  Have you pushed pause on life to take a moment and just breathe?

1. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

I don’t even know your kids and I got a little teary… My youngest brother is 22 and 6’4, and whenever I look at him, I still see him at three years old.

p.s.- I could use a post instructing me on HOW to get them to shut off their phones… My two brothers are impossible to get through to. Last Christmas day, I suggested a moratorium on phones/texting which was summarily ignored. It pretty much made me insane.

The phone thing is becoming complete insanity. We’ve always tried to have balance with it, but it’s sneaky how much of a time suck it can be. Keep being persistent… We’re not perfect with it, but I like where we’re headed.

I read an article today that a parent said they will not be buying a phone for their kids. They’ll have a family phone that the kids can take when they are away from home, but they will not have one for personal use. If I had it to do over again, I would do THAT. That doesn’t help your adult brother, but I thought it was interesting.

2. Becky says:

Hi Danielle,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Stories like this remind me to narrow my focus. Blogging can stretch us in so many directions our vision gets blurry. By the time it clears the kid has grown a foot (directionally, not a literal extra limb, that’d be weird…..)

These days my son is living in a Batman costume. I can’t get enough of it and savour every chance I get to watch his cape draped form running through the fall leaves.

Dammit – I just got a little teary at my desk. THANKS A LOT Danielle! 😉

Becky, it makes my heart so very happy when you post Instagram photos of your little dude in his batman costume. Evan used to do that. You just know at that moment that they are completely carefree. They aren’t worried about the world other than how they, as Batman, can save the day. It’s so very precious. Savor every minute of it and never, EVER suggest that he might not want to wear it. That time will come all too quickly.

3. Alex says:

Family time should ALWAYS come first. I have one year left before my youngest is in school full time and the thought of it makes me cry. And this is coming from a mom who went into being a SAHM kicking and screaming that I would hate it, that my career would be put on hold. And it has turned out to be the single best decision I have ever made next to marrying my husband. People say it goes by fast but I really had no idea. I look at her and her birthday is tomorrow and I still see her in my baby carrier. I can’t even process what I will feel like come high school. so I understand everything that you said and totally think you should be with them. We’re always here a post or an email away. 🙂

Thank you, friend! Each phase has been so incredible to me, I just can’t get over that there will come a time in the very near future that I won’t see their faces every day.

4. Dorene @ Seasonal Chapters says:

Danielle,
    I just found your blog as I was reading all of the highlights that bloggers submitted after attending Haven (I have been blogging just under a year so I am intrigued by all Haven seems to offer). I was enjoying looking around your site, and this post made me smile and nod in agreement. My youngest just graduated HS and my oldest is entering his senior year of college (and just started his own business at the age of 21). I am proud of the adults they are becoming but at the same time am a little saddened by how quickly the time is flying by. I seem to be even more reflective than usual these days and keep reminding myself to treasure each moment…which is honestly what was on my mind when I started my blog a year ago, and now this sentiment rings more true than ever! Thanks for the review of Haven, and I am glad that it brought me to this old post of yours!
    Dorene @ Seasonal Chapters

Hi Dorene! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It sounds like we are in very similar stages of life and it is incredibly bittersweet… especially when you truly like the people that you’ve been gifted to raise. 🙂

Haven was awesome and I highly recommend attending when you can. Blogging is an amazing community and I’m so glad you are a part of it. Looking forward to checking out your work. Cheers!