Girls Knitting Weekend

Adventures In Knitting | Storypiece.net

Last weekend Tess and I were invited by some of my very talented girlfriends to tag along with them on The Rose City Yarn Crawl.  What is a Yarn Crawl?  So glad you asked.

It’s like a Pub Crawl, but instead of consuming mass amounts of alcohol, your brain is inundated with the magic and creative spirit of knitting.   (My son did note that several of the shops sounded like pubs.  The Naked Sheep, Knit Purl, Twisted… he might have a point.)

Wall of Yarn | Storypiece.net

I should probably tell you that as much as I want to be good at it, I struggle with knitting.  I just can’t seem to get it.  My grandmother was a crocheter and she tried to teach me several times to knit and crochet.  That proved more frustrating than either of us wanted to be, so we skipped it.  Now that she is gone, I am very thankful to own her crochet hooks. Maybe someday I’ll learn to use them… maybe.

Vintage Crochet Hooks | Storypiece.net

But back to knitting.  A few years ago I finally learned how to do a simple knit stitch and I can make a basic scarf.  However, if you throw in a knit and purl combo, I’m completely lost.  Thankfully, the fact that I am such a beginner did not diminish the experience of joining my friends for The Crawl.

Over two days Tess and I hit 13 different shops and each one had a truly unique flavor. Some were very upscale… others more urban. One shop took their craft to an art form with sculptured felting. And another was decorated with an array of stitched banners and bunting.

Forgive the iPhone photos, but I took some pics of the more random things we saw:

This artist and her mini-me.

Mini Me | Storypiece.net

She had Sherlock too.

Side note: Have you seen Sherlock on BBC?  It’s a total MUST, but that’s a discussion for another post.

Sherlock Doll | Storypiece.net

There were mustaches.

Mustache | Storypiece.net

Jumbo knitting needles.  For reference, that is Tessa’s almost adult size hand holding a size 50 knitting needle.  And they had needles that went up to size 99!

Size 50 Knitting Needle | Storypiece.net

And something extra special for those that like foxes.

Foxy Stole | Storypiece.net

A month or so before The Crawl, a mystery pattern was released with only certain sections being shared each week right up until the event. The idea is to make something, just following the instructions and not knowing what it would be until the very last week. Everyone that finished then wore their creation (this year it was a wrap) to The Crawl. Each store also displayed their take on the project and it was so fun to see the variation in color combos and embellishments.  Who knew that knitting could be so diverse?

Probably knitters… they probably know that.

Tess and I came home with several patterns and yarn for new projects for each of us. Mine will be another scarf, but I’m determined to figure out the knit/purl combo.

Rose City Yarn Crawl | Storypiece.net

And for those that are curious… I chose purple and gray because they are the school colors of the college my son will be attending in the fall.

GCU Colors | Storypiece.net

He has picked a university and is even registered with a dorm room.  (How is this possible?!)  It is out of state and I’m hoping this scarf will distract me from the fact that a chunk of my heart will be living 1200 miles away.  A girl can dream, right?

Have you ever been to a yarn crawl? Are you a knitter or crocheter?  Any tips for an novice like me?

1. Alex says:

That’s awesome! That big jumbo knitting needle piece…I want to learn THAT. My MIL recently tried to teach me how to crochet. While she was over I got some of the hang of it despite taking almost 2 hours to do 2 lines (of crocheting…) and by the time the next day arrived I had forgotten how to even start. I love people who know how to do this and ice cakes. Because I, cannot.

The size 99 needles were seriously 4 to 5 FEET long. You get a work out and a completed project… that could be the new trend to replace Zumba!

I started my scarf last night and it calls for 96 tiny stitches across. I screwed up row three and ended up ripping the whole thing out. Here’s to hoping I can finish the thing before Evan graduates college.

2. Christina says:

I’ve been wanting those giant needles for so long…they are amazing. I took a knitting class last fall and found it pretty easy, crocheting on the other hand, is immensely frustrating for me. Go figure. The knit crawl is an awesome idea.

3. Gina says:

I love this idea !
    Grace and Haven took a crochet class and can make a few things. They have even entered them in the County Fair and placed. They love to look at Great-Grandma’s crochet creations, it is such a sweet way to remember her. Congrats on the college, so awesome!!

That’s so cool! Great-grandma would have loved that. I would be happy to send them a few of her needles if they would like that. I have a few of her patterns too. Hmmm… maybe I’ll need to put together something for their birthdays. And just so we’re clear… even though it’s March and their birthdays aren’t until the end of the year, their gifts WILL be late because I’d hate to break tradition. 🙂

I think they go crazy fast because the yarn and needles are so big. POOF! You’ve got a new blanket in an hour. Which is my kind of instant gratification craft. 🙂

And yes… congratulations and consolation are both in order. Tyson gets the joy of trying to guess at any given moment which I might be needing more of. I think that’s the very definition of “for better or worse”.

4. marianne818 says:

There are many how to videos on you tube, also a great help with a lot of great knitters and crocheters is a forum site called Knitting Paradise. One ask a question and with soooo many experienced knitters answers are posted quickly. This site has people from all over the world that post it’s my go to site when I have a problem, also have great free patterns from the designers, workshops and just plain friendly chats about our crafts.
    As for the yarn crawl the Georgia group had one last weekend, I wasn’t able to go along but from what I heard they found a lot of delicious yarns and great food for their lunch stop also!! Oh well, I’ll go next year!!
    Good luck with the scarf, my son went away to college, I was lucky that it was only an hour drive!

Hi Marianne! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. My knitting and crocheting friends have suggested you-tube as well, but I haven’t heard of Knitting Paradise. I’ll be sure to check it out. I did join Ravelry after our knitting weekend… there is so many great projects there. So many ideas and so little time.

5. Ashley Flander says:

What kind of yarn was she using on the size 50 needles. I dint think I have found any yarn that big. I make my own giant needles in various sizes and lengths.

6. Shoko says:

Hi!
    I loved your website with variaty of works!!!! I started crocheting from last year continueously and I made R2D2 after 2-3 weeks and it was pretty fun and ever since I’m totally loving it! Now I have my friend request to make a blanket but she really wants to have a blanket with huge yarn. As far as I know, it should be Jumbo yarn or Super Chunky yarn. Do you have any recommendation to find that size yarn? I ended up finding a few places in etsy but I’m curious if I can find better one.
    Thanks 🙂

Hi Shoko! I tried crocheting, but only managed to frustrate my grandmother. I tend to make my stitches too tight. 🙂 I love all the mini animals that I’ve seen online; I’m sure your R2D2 is incredible.

The store that we found the Super Chunky yarn in was at Pearl Fiber Arts in Portland, Oregon. If you contact them, I’m sure they can give you more information. http://pearlfiberarts.com

Please let me know if you are able to get the yarn and create something fun. I’d love to hear all about it!