Elegant Irish Decor

Decorating with Belleek | Storypiece.net

So here’s the thing… I’m Irish.

Or rather I’m an American with deep Irish roots.

Granted, I don’t speak Gaelic and although my grandmother would’ve loved it, I never learned to stepdance.  I’ve never even been to Ireland, but I hope to go someday.

However, my very earliest memories are sitting in my great-grandmother’s kitchen eating fresh homemade Irish Soda Bread and drinking tea.  Even though I was too young to understand much from the visits, I did manage to grasp the specialness of them.

Irish Tea | Storypiece.net

When St. Patrick’s Day rolls around each year, I’m reminded of my heritage and I’m a bit conflicted by all the crafts & decor that start showing up.  I often think “I don’t think this holiday means what you think it means”.  When my great-grandmother came to America, I don’t think she imagined that her culture would be burned into her new homes heart as one of leprechauns, pots of gold and rainbows.

Don’t get me wrong… those things are all fun traditions especially with little ones.  But for me to get my glittery green shamrock on… well it just isn’t my thing.  Even if shamrock shakes are magically delicious.

In the full interest of disclosure, we do have one leprechaun that makes an appearance this time of year.  However, he gets a pass since Evan brought him home from second grade and said “Look what I made today.”

Tiny Clay Leprechaun | Storypiece.net

I kinda adore him.  I’d post a tutorial, but I’m still not sure how he did it.

Anyhow… rather than decorate with rainbows and clovers, I like to break out my Irish Belleek and display it for the season.

Belleek China | Storypiece.net

Belleek is very delicate Irish pottery that was always around or a topic of conversation when I was growing up.  All of my pieces were given to me by family and when I get a chance to visit with my Dad or aunt, I love to hear about their latest acquisitions.

Shamrock Belleek Cup | Storypiece.netBelleek Tea Cup | Storypiece.net

With spring almost here, I prefer to bring in fresh cut flowers and greens to decorate with. Tulips are my favorite and I think they are so striking paired with these porcelain dishes.

Irish Belleek | Storypiece.net

Although I constantly use my vases, I’m actually deathly afraid to use the tea cups. They are so paper thin, I’m worried I might crack one. Regardless, they sure are gorgeous to look at and I enjoy bringing out these pieces each year.

Family Room Flowers | Storypiece.netFresh Flowers | Storypiece.net

What is your favorite St. Patrick’s Day tradition?  Do you own any Irish Belleek? Be honest… are you drinking green beer or Bailey’s Irish Cream on the 17th?

1. Alex says:

Those cups are so delicate looking and beautiful! My husband is half Irish/Scottish and I totally understand what you mean about the Holiday itself and how it has all changed.While it’s great for the kids, I totally understand where you’re coming from.

Thanks! I have to tell you I was hoping to pick-up some Bailey’s and try out your ice cube trick for the holiday, but my ice tray has been hi-jacked with some sort of chocolate/nutella concoction that my girl has dreamed up. Looks like I need more ice trays. 🙂

2. kellycreason says:

Excellent photos, beautiful Belleek. I have one Belleek teacup and saucer, but my prized possession is my Waterford ship’s decanter. It’s on my living room table for all to see, with some good amber-colored bourbon in it. Irish whiskey would be more appropriate, but I prefer the look of the darker-colored liquid. I also have a hand-painted (green) sign, which simply declares “Sláinte‎!”. Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Danielle!

3. Lauresa says:

Nicely put Danielle! No matter how you choose to celebrate, I know that Granny and Mama would be very happy that you embrace your Irish heritage and Mama, in particular, would love that you do it through your Belleek! Happy St. Patrick’s Day — I love and miss you guys!

I have to say that I LOVE using my vases, but I’m deathly afraid of doing anything more than just looking at the tea cups. I would be so devastated if I ever broke one. Hope you are having a great holiday!

4. Jeannie Clemens says:

I’m not much into the rainbows and and shamrocks either, though I also have one cute little leprechaun so as not to be a “grinch”. I do love green though and have plenty of it around. Now I have a desire to add Belleek.

It sounds like we are kindred spirits, Jeannie! I love my one little leprechaun, but in general I like to keep everything else more elegant looking. Belleek is so gorgeous too. A couple of my pieces are so paper thin, they have a translucent quality to them.

Let me know if you end up picking something up. I’d love to hear about it!

5. Brynne@The Gathered Home says:

What beautiful pieces! I’d never heard of Belleek before, but now I’m going to keep my eyes open for some pieces to collect!

Thanks, Brynne! My favorites (which I don’t own) are the porcelain woven baskets that they create… truly stunning. Definitely keep your eyes open when you are out looking for #thriftscorethursday. They end up in thrift stores all the time because people have no idea about them.

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!