**Disclaimer – I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Plaid Crafts, Michaels and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.
I know I’m not alone at the beginning of January when I breathe a huge sigh of relief. All the hustle of the Christmas season is behind us and a new year stretches ahead like open highway. I love having all of the holiday decorations put away and there is a bareness that makes me want to create something new. So when I was asked to be sent a surprise project of Spring Wood Surfaces to work with, I immediately jumped in to share it this first week of 2015. Inspired by one of my favorite quotes, this is my focus for 2015.
I’ve been thinking a lot about this quote and how powerful believing in oneself is. Believing, not in ignorance or arrogance, but in truly believing you can achieve something… the perfectionism and concern that you’re not enough is dispelled. There’s no room for fear, self-doubt or second-guessing. You believe and it’s your personal truth.
This is something that has taken me 4 decades to wrap my brain around, but I’m inspired to live it out: To continue to believe in myself and what I’ve been put here to do… even when I get knocked down, I can still accomplish it.
- Wood frame
- Wood lettering
- Chalk Paint by Martha Stewart Crafts (Wedding Cake, Smoke and River Rock)
- Clear Wax by Martha Stewart Crafts
- Wood backing board
- Mod Podge
Paint your wood frame. I used three coats of Wedding Cake to get the opaque consistency that I wanted.
Tip: Sanding between coats is key to a smooth finish when working with this paint.
Paint backing board with three coats of River Rock. With a name like River Rock and based on the bottle label, I was really expecting a dark almost black color. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this dreamy blue.
Add hand lettering. I temporarily marked where the wood letters would go so that I could position my hand lettering. However, I did not want to permanently place them until after I sealed everything with the wax.
What philosophy are you embracing in 2015? Have you chosen one word to capture your focus for this year? What is first on your creative “to-do” list?
For more information about Plaid Craft Products:
- Plaid Website: http://www.plaidonline.com/
- The Plaid Palette Blog: http://www.plaidonline.com/blog – The Plaid Palette is a source of inspiration with news about new product introductions, project ideas, tutorials from Plaid’s craft experts and giveaways.
- Newsletter: https://www.plaidonline.com/craft-newsletter-signup.aspx – Sign up for Plaid’s email newsletter for special coupons, project ideas and more!
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/plaidcrafts – Plaid’s YouTube channel features videos with product demonstration, special seasonal projects and ideas from top Craft Experts.
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/plaidcrafts
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspiredByPlaid
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/plaidcrafts – A look into daily life at Plaid and project inspiration.
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/plaidcrafts
- Google+: http://www.plus.google.com/+PlaidOnline