Last night, Tyson and I had the opportunity to have dinner with a friend that I’ve known since high school.  Mario was in the area on business and we had a few hours to catch-up with him.

Note to self: Take photos BEFORE the lighting disappears.

A little background… my friends that I had in high school are incredibly special to me. There simply are no words to adequately express what they still mean to me.  Although I don’t get to see them often, (especially now that I live 1200 miles away from where I grew up) they are a part of my family and I feel incredibly blessed that I live in a world with Facebook that can keep us all a little more connected.

The reason I share all of this with you is that during dinner, our conversation turned to things that we are passionate about.  People, interests, the things that refresh our spirit and bring us joy… not just family, but creative pursuits and outlets.  And the deeper questions… how do we make time for those things and even share them with others in our lives?

And then Tyson said, “So… do you know that Danielle has a Blog?”

Yeah… I don’t know… I have a huge problem telling my friends “You should totally check out my blog.” It makes me feel all awkward.  It’s not that I worry what they all will think… it’s more that I feel like I’m saying “Hey, check ME out”.  And seriously, who wants to be THAT person?!

But blogging is something that I am finding that I love to do.  It’s tapping into a creative part of my brain that I don’t get to use as much as I did back in high school.  And I’m getting to meet a lot of really cool people that I am beginning to adore; readers and other bloggers that are incredibly funny and encouraging… new friends.

So to those of you that do check me out, because you stumbled across my blog and decided to stick around, I want to say a huge “Thank You”!  And for those of you who have shared my blog with others and even nominated me for awards… well, all I can say is I’m abundantly blown away!!

• Littleprince68 who nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award and the Very Inspiring Blog Award.  Nova was my very first reader on my very first day!  She continues to be such an encouragement to me.
  • Alex at NorthofSeven for nominating also me for the One Lovely Blog Award.  She has an amazing list of nominations that I can’t wait to check out.
  • And Morgan who writes MissDIYMonster also nominated me for the One Lovely Blog and Very Inspiring Blog Awards.  And she seriously has the most fun blog name EVER!

So help a sister out… How do you tell the people in your life that you have a blog?  Do you shout it from the rooftops or post it on Facebook?  Am I over-thinking this? Is it no big deal or do you just not share at all?  I would really love to know how you do it.

And thank you to Mario for a very fun evening.  Brother, you are the best!

1. Makaila says:

Interesting question! I am a little shy about telling people about my blog.. I prefer not to! I have told close friends and family, because I think they are ultimately the people that would enjoy hearing/seeing me most.. but other than that, I don’t share about my blog.. just me. 🙂

• Storypiece says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You seem like such a free-spirit, I would’ve never dreamed that you would be a bit shy about sharing your writing with others. This really helps me in thinking thru how I share my blog. Thanks!!

2. Cameron {The Stimson Chronicles} says:

I loved this post! I also have very special friends from high school…I actually hung out with a dear high school friend this morning with our kids at the splash park! :} And I too feel VERY weird telling people I have a blog, b/c I feel like there’s this misconception that people with blogs are ego-centric and just want to talk about themselves all the time, which is SO not the case! I share my blog posts on facebook and twitter and if people want to read, I’m thrilled, but I try not to get caught up in the numbers, you know? I blog for my kids, so one day they can read funny stories about when they were little. It’s also a wonderful creative outlet for me, as a writer/baker/crafter/experiment-er :} I so enjoy reading your blog, and am thrilled we
    “met” – and blogs made that possible!

• Storypiece says:

I love the idea of chronicling (oh… I see what you did there) your life adventures for your kiddos. And that season goes so quickly… they are going to truly love getting to come back and read your thoughts. You do an amazing job a of writing for them AND for those of us who follow along. That’s a unique balance that I don’t think many could pull off.

So great that you keep in touch with high school friends. I imagine there was lots of fun shared back then and treasured today. At lease that last picture leads me to think so!!! And that Tyson… how about your guy… SO SWEET! Obviously proud and excited about what you do with your creative little corner of the internet.

I think most people are like you, Danielle. I certainly don’t tell people I have a blog. I wouldn’t never presume that they would be interested or that what I was doing, saying, or showing was anything all that special. I think that’s completely normal. Who wants to indulge an egomaniac?! And yes, there are plenty out there. YOU are not one of them. Your writing and stories about home and life are sweet, fun, and always entertaining. Okay… so maybe you should take out a billboard in the middle of town… everyone should be reading this stuff. 🙂
    I know I love it and will gladly yell at people …. “HEY, DANIELLE HAS THIS GREAT BLOG… CHECK HER OUT!”. (lol)

• Storypiece says:

Oh Stacey… You ALWAYS make me smile!! You are so very right. I am married to the most encouraging guy which I’m so very thankful for. And I seriously love hearing your thoughts on this. I think you perfectly captured what I’ve been feeling. So it’s decided… I need a billboard! 🙂

4. Alex @ northofseven says:

Oh woman very few real life friends know I have a blog b/c of similar reasons. I never want to be that person that makes friends feel like they *have* to read it. I do this b/c it’s a great creative outlet. If friends find it on their own then I’ll get back to you on how that goes. My mom still has no clue.

• Storypiece says:

Your mom doesn’t know?! That’s too funny!! I told my mom and my best friend that they both HAD to read it because of who they are in my life. Everyone else gets a pass. 🙂

5. Katyie @ Newcomb Home says:

Danielle, I’m the exact same on both fronts. I have dear friends from HS still (luckily I grew up in PDX so I still get to see them often). AND it took me a long time to tell people about my blog. I never actually told people, I don’t think. I linked from my personal facebook page to my posts for a while. I don’t do it anymore, because I feel to shy about it. Maybe I should start again! Though even though I feel shy I want to tell you to share your blog! So maybe we should both do it 🙂

• Storypiece says:

Hey, Katie… thanks for your comments. I occasionally share on Facebook, but not very often. It’s interesting… everyone that says they don’t really share, I keep thinking “They should totally tell others… they’re amazing!” You might be on to something!

6. newcombhome says:

I just babbled on with a comment but I don’t think it saved for some reason 🙂 Anyway, I think you should SHARE your blog! Its something to be proud of. I do feel the same way though, I’m a bit shy about it. I used to put my recent posts on my personal FB page but I don’t anymore. Maybe I should start again. And, so happy you still have such dear friends from high school!

• Storypiece says:

Sorry about that… the comment was sitting in moderation. I hate when that happens to me when I leave a comment on other blogs. I’ll have to check into changing that. Thanks again!

7. kirsten nieman says:

I LOVE this post! It’s such a tricky question and I never know how to bring up the subject either! I always think it will organically just come out of a conversation but it rarely does. I think in due time people discover blogs that they connect with, but I wish there was a better way to get the word out about how much blogging means to people:).

• Storypiece says:

Thanks for sharing, Kirsten! I think it’s interesting that you find navigating this topic tricky too. And maybe, just like anything else, unless you’ve experienced what some one is passionate about, you may not fully appreciate the how or the why of that passion. I’m hoping that over time, it will be more natural to share with others… we shall see.

8. Gilit says:

I feel exactly the same way! I’m so grateful when my friends check it out because my blog is something that I love doing, but I’m also super-shy about it! I blush and stammer and try to realize that I’m being ridiculous, but it’s hard.

Isn’t it funny how sometimes it’s easier to share with strangers than the people we know?

9. littleprince68 says:

It was and definitely still a pleasure to follow you, you deserve to be followed and you constantly in inspire others through the story which goes with everything that you write about or do like a very creative DIY project. Let’s continue to encourage each other and grow positively as bloggers and as persons! All the best

I thought there was something socially wrong with me for being so hesitant to tell people! After reading this, I feel better.

My husband was the one who finally told my parents. I don’t know why it feels so awkward, even with the people you love most. Except that you’re creating something all your own, and that makes it feel kind of private? Even though you’re doing it in a public forum?

• Storypiece says:

Apparently you are in good company… who knew we were all so shy?! 🙂 Thank you for sharing your thoughts and welcome to our not so weird club!