Project Notes: Art Update

Half the fun of the Pinterest Challenge that I took part in earlier this summer is getting to see all the amazing projects that everyone does.  There are a lot of talented people out there and seeing their take on things is really inspiring.

One of the challenges that I came across was a piece of art that was similar to the one that I did for Tessa’s room.  Of course, I’m dying to show it to you, but I’ve tried to hunt down which blog it was and I’m at a loss.  I didn’t pin it or follow the blog and so, unfortunately, I’m unable to give credit to the gal for this update.  If it’s you… leave me a comment.  I’d love to say a HUGE thank you.

I can tell you there were two things that really stood out about the work:

1. It was a really fun design.  Of what… I can’t remember.  Awesome, right?  I do that thing where I forget why I walked into a room too.
  2. The application was a bit different.  I had used double sided tape to put together my art.  However, this blogger had used mod podge to finish off her work.  It was brilliant and something that hadn’t occurred to me to use.

Since mine was already finished and framed, I filed the idea away in my brain in case I ever decide to do something like this again in the future.

And then this happened:

While I was working in the room, I heard a funny noise.  I turned around and discovered the tape that I had used was beginning to fail.  I guess I would be getting my mod podge on after all.

I took the art out of the frame and got ready to add Mod Podge to the center where the petals fell off.

Once I had replaced them, I proceeded to add Mod Podge over the entire flower.  Since, I was taking this extra step, I thought it might be fun to work in a circular motion for an added, subtle effect.

Now that it’s dry, you don’t see the brush strokes unless you’re looking for them.

Good as new!

I’m so glad that I ended up going back and adding the mod podge.  I think it gives it a more finished look and I don’t have to worry about petals falling apart in the future.

Have you had to go back and redo a project? Scratch that… I read some of your blogs and know that you have.  So instead let’s talk about shortcuts… sometimes they pay off and sometimes they can be… well… regretful.  What’s the worst shortcut you’ve taken that you ended up wishing you hadn’t? Was there a quick fix? Can you laugh about it now?

(For those that are new to Storypiece, you can check out the original post to my project here.)

**Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.

1. Alex @ northofseven says:

I like it! I adds a texture to the art that looks totally intentional. Worst shortcut? I’m always looking for a shortcut!!!Every time I read blogs for anything – recipes, DIY’s – I have my inside head voice going “come on, who has the time for all that? there has to be a shortcut”. I just tried a short cut for a test run of the famous Rainbow cake. It imploded. There was no rescue. This is my nightmare ready to be baked.

• Storypiece says:

Oh my goodness… I’m a nightmare in the kitchen. Things are chronically “blackened” or set ablaze. I’ve set the bar very low for my future daughter-in-law. 🙂

2. Cameron {The Stimson Chronicles} says:

Ok, now I’m worried that I need to modge podge Rowan’s too..I just used E6000 glue. Yours is so amazing! Shortcuts I tend to take that don’t always work in my favor are “eyeballing” when hanging artwork and guessing at recipe measurements. You win some, you lose some :} By the way, I’m nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award, details on today’s post! Thanks so much for being an honest, inspiring voice in this sometimes overwhelming blogging world!
    ~Cameron

• Storypiece says:

I’d be willing to bet you’ll be fine since you used a glue. I think because I used tape and the room gets so warm… it wasn’t a good long term combination.

I totally get the eyeballing thing. I have friends that are amazing at throwing in a dash of this or that in a recipe, which I completely envy. And thanks for the nomination. You are so very sweet and I appreciate all of your encouragement! I’ll check it out.

That’s a really neat idea… especially for a girl’s room.
    I’m not at all crafty, so I always look at those projects with a little bit of trepidation… I couldn’t figure out how you got it arranged so perfectly until I went and looked at your first post.

I hate when something so detail oriented starts to collapse. And I’m just as likely to ignore it as deal with it… The last shortcut I took was to use my hotglue gun rather than the sewing machine to recover old patio cushions. FYI?? Hotglue melts foam.

So glad you posted this! I’ve been thinking about this whole paint sample art thing and have something in mind for our bedroom (if I ever get to the decorating part) and I would have hated to have it all fall apart. Good save on this and I’ll be sure to take your advice. Mod Podge saves the day!!!

• Storypiece says:

I know… I was starting to get stressed… “I got to get this correction up”. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!! I’m sure it will be fab.

5. Jenn says:

This is so pretty! I love the colors and the texture from the petals! So cute! 🙂 And, you’re probably going to think I’m crazy, but I also kinda liked it with the petals scattered — although you wouldn’t want them all to do that, so mod podge was a great solution!

• Storypiece says:

Ha!! I definitely don’t think you’re crazy. I kinda like the scattered petals too. I think it would be really fun to do this again with a more random design.

I remember seeing your project when you published it! I truly thought it came out great… I’m curious to hear why you feel like it was a failure.

Sneak Peek: I have a Valentine’s Day one set for tomorrow and truth be told… the hardest part was working out the design again.