Fall Favorite: Toffee Cookies

One of our fall favorites is fresh baked Toffee Cookies.  If there is one recipe that I could make in my sleep it would be these cookies.  And with the autumn air getting crisp and golden and holiday baking just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to share this yummy recipe.

I wish I could tell you that I have fond memories of making these as a child or that the recipe has been passed down in our family for generations, but that’s just not the case. The story of how I came across these treats is pretty unspectacular, but they have a special place in our family none the less.

About 15 years ago, I needed to bring baked goodies to a church event and I came across Skor toffee chips at the store.  On the back of the packaging was a recipe for cookies. Simple.  I’d bake up a batch and have treats for the event.

But they are good… Like crazy, addictive gooooood!  They are the perfect mix of salty and sweet. Crunchy and chewy.  Like a salted caramel party for your mouth.  The ladies at the church event loved them.  I got requests to make more.  And of course I made LOTS more. By the time we moved to Portland, toffee cookies were a staple in my dessert rotation.

Then I made them for my father-in-law.  Now Frank was not a dessert guy, but he loooooved my cookies.  He would specially request them for different family events and I would often send him home with his own stash to enjoy later.  He even dubbed them “daughter-in-law cookies” which was pretty great.  And when my step-dad moved to the area for a short time, they bonded over politics, football and toffee cookies.

But a while back Frank was diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer’s.  And over the last few years we have been slowly losing him.  At first, it was little things, but as the disease progresses it has become more and more.  Then last year when I made cookies for his birthday Frank blankly looked at me and said “Did you make these? They’re good.” Another teeny, tiny part of him slipped away.  I’m so sad to have lost that connection with him.

As you can imagine, these cookies are dear to my heart.  I don’t make them quite as often as i use to, but they are still a huge hit when I do.

Toffee Cookies:

• 8 oz package of Heath or Skor Toffee Bits
  • 2  1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter softened
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

2. Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl.

3. Add eggs and beat well.

4. Gradually add flour mixture.

5. Stir in toffee bits.

6. Drop by rounded teaspoons and bake for 9 minutes.  You want them lightly brown, but still a little gooey.

7. Let them cool a minute or two before moving them to a wire rack.

Enjoy!

One special note… when we moved to Oregon, I could no longer find Skor Toffee Bits, but I use Heath and the results are equally great.

Do you have a favorite family recipe? Do you have a dish that you love to make and that has a special story behind it? Do tell!  And please, please, please, if you make these cookies, I would absolutely love to hear what you think!

**For additional tips and tricks to baking these incredible treats, check out the post here.

Other stories you might enjoy:

Ha!! Let me know what you think. They are definitely addictive… as in you eat one and then you eat another and another and then you start feeling sick because you’ve eaten WAY too much sugar… so you have just one more. 🙂

Those cookies do look good… I can practically smell them.

I’m so, so sorry about your father-in-law. Alzheimer’s is so sad. My grandmother had early-onset… it was ——. Fill in the blank with whatever words seem fitting to you. I’m never quite sure how to describe it.

Hmmm… feeling in that blank is challenging. It depends on the moment. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it’s bittersweet, sometimes it’s down right funny in a “can you believe this is happening” kinda way. It’s definitely hard to describe.

These cookies do make your house smell AMAZING!! I think Paul needs these in his life after all that porch staining. 🙂

2. Jennifer S says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and the story… so sad and happy and meaningful. These cookies look amazing and I’ll be making them this fall!

The cookies look delicious… and my hips are already bigger just looking at them!
    I know I’m a weirdo, Danielle… but once I got past the cookies I had to lust over your cookie sheet. WEIRDO, I know .. honestly… yours looks like you bought it yesterday and mine looks like I must have baked nuts and bolts on them. Ha Ha. Obviously I don’t take care of mine and you do! So I’d definitely eat the cookies, and quietly steal the cookie sheet too. (I think I could probably fit it in my purse!) HA HA!

On a sad note… I’m sorry about your Father-in-law. Such a hard thing to watch someone you love go through. Although he may not remember the cookies… they still brought him joy at that moment. And having a happy “moment” is certainly worth the effort. 🙂 hugs.

Thank you for your sweet words. Tyson is getting lots of great moments with his dad which we truly treasure.

And you are so funny about the cookie sheet!! I think it’s about a year old because my last one was looking pretty shabby. It also makes up for the fact that I have no knobs on my stove. That was another “helpful remodeling tip” from our pups. Fingers crossed for a new stove in 2013. 🙂

4. Gwen says:

These cookies sound amazing I will have to try them this year!! And they have a wonderful story behind them not all recipes need to be passed down from generation to generation 🙂

5. Jaquielyn says:

I made these and instantly became insanely popular at work! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!! EVERYONE LOVESSSSSS these cookies (myself included)

Aren’t they the BEST?! Seriously… I’m a chocolate person, but I find these super addictive.

Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and let me know that you tried out the recipe and enjoyed them. It made my day to hear from you!

6. nameless says:

There was another similar recipe online; with a few difference more butter, extra egg? but I decide to go with this one and Im SO glad I did! I did try to make it into panera toffee cookies and added walnuts-Im taking them to a party tomorrow. Hope they will be a big hit!

Hi Kathie! I typically scoop about a tablespoon of batter for each cookie and get around 3 dozen baked cookies. Also they are pretty soft when you first take them out of the oven and harden a bit as they cool. I always wait a minute after taking them out of the oven before removing them from the cookie sheet and letting them cool on a wire rack. They keep their shape better as you transfer them.

Thank you so much for your comment. I’m starting to think I might need to do an updated post to include some tips. Please let me know how the baking goes.

Cheers!
      Danielle

7. Staci says:

These are so delicious. I love the sweet and salty contrast. Absolutely to die for and completely addictive and Im not a huge sweets person. I used butter flavored crisco which was ok, but generally I bake with butter. I cant wait to try these with butter. Thanks for a great recipe!

Hi Staci… I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed a family favorite! I haven’t tried these with crisco so I’m curious to hear how they compare. If you get a minute, please let me know.

And as a Boxer mama myself, Boxer dogs are the BEST!

• Staci says:

How do you know Im not a fighter?? Just kidding. Ive raised boxers for 15 years but now Im raising English Mastiffs. A lot bigger, but super mellow, barely any puppy stage. :). No Hyperness like boxers can be. And actually eat less than my boxers. Way slower metabolism.

Anyway…Back to the task at hand…I still think these would be better with butter. They seem to get crunchy when cool. Awesome when hot. So I will try it with butter and update it. Still even crunchy they are good. I imagine 10 seconds in the microwave would soften them right up. 🙂

Ha! The boxer comment may have made me cross my fingers when I clicked the send button. 🙂

Please let me what you think comparing the crisco and butter. I am planning on updating this post with some of the tips and comments that readers have shared and I’d love to include yours.

Thank you for letting me know. I’ll be updating this post and including your comments in it. I really appreciate you sharing your experience!

Happy Baking!