Today, Tyson and I celebrate 20 years of marriage!
Seriously… twenty years together. How did that happen?! Most days it feels like no time at all and then I look back and realize it’s already been a lifetime.
In honor of our special day, here are 20 random facts about us:
- Tyson and I were introduced by my best friend, Laurice. She went to high school with him which makes me look forward to their reunions more than he probably does.
- On the night we met, we were suppose to go dancing, but Tyson forgot his ID. This is a reoccurring thing in our marriage.
- Instead of dancing, we watched “Parenthood” at a friends house and I fell asleep. This is also a reoccurring thing in our marriage.
- Tyson never asked me to be his girlfriend; he only asked me to always be honest with him. That set a profound baseline for our relationship.
- There are days I’m confident Tyson wishes I was a little less honest with him. However, a deal is a deal.
- After only dating long distance for a month, he moved in with my family and me for two weeks while he looked for a job and a new place to live. Tyson shared a room with my brother.
- I’m thankful he didn’t turn out to be crazy… Or a slob.
- Even after all of that, I thought Tyson was “cool, but it wasn’t like I was going to marry him or anything”. Famous last words.
- We had Chinese food on our first Valentine’s Day and have had Chinese food every Valentine’s Day since. It’s our little tradition.
- My car was totaled by a hit and run driver while it was parked outside of his apartment. I loved that car.
- Tyson still drives the same pick-up truck he drove when we met… in 1991. Everything about it is manual, but I’m grateful for it.
- My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a few days before Tyson proposed. We had no idea when we told her we were engaged.
- A friend helped us set-up a budget before we got married and aside from adjusting for inflation, we still use it. I’m sure it has helped us avoid countless arguments about money.
- We have been debt free for 5 years and do not own a credit card. That hasn’t always been easy, but I’m sure that has also saved us countless arguments.
- My high school friend, Mario married his wife, Melody on the exact same day. I hated that I missed his wedding, but now I love that we share this special day with friends.
- I’m a year older than Tyson. He likes to marvel at how old that makes me.
- We never, ever use the bathroom with the door open. It keeps the mystery alive.
- Our marriage isn’t perfect, but it works for us. We fight and struggle like everyone else, we just choose not to invite everyone into the hard stuff.
- Tyson is the first person I want to share something with and the last person I want to talk to at night. He had no clue that would mean that some nights I would yammer on and on.
- I can’t imagine what life would’ve been like with anyone else. And I can’t wait to see what the next 20 has in store.
Happy 20th Anniversary, Tyson! Thank you for sharing two decades with me.