Egg-ceptional Seating

Oh puns… they’re really not my thing, but sometimes you just can’t resist.

Anyhoo… a few weeks ago, Tess decided to help me out with a little research for the chair she wants in her room.  I mentioned before that she has her heart set on an egg chair like this one:

So she shared her list of options with me.  Her first choice was this one:

Once I stopped laughing, she agreed that even by Walmart’s pricing, it’s a “smidge” out of our price range.  The girl’s got taste, though.  She found this one too.

Better, but still over a grand.  Plus, neither of these come in a color that works in her room.  Even if we did have this kind of money to blow, mama don’t want to have to reupholster a brand new chair.

Her third choice and more in the neighborhood was this one.

It’s still more than I want to spend…. which ends up being a good thing.  As I prepped this photo for the post, I realized that this is a listing for THE STAND.  It’s $300 for the stand for the chair, folks… not the chair itself.  OOPS!!  We didn’t catch that earlier.

Not to worry… We also talked about seeing if we could find something a little less egg shaped and a little more affordable.

We all really liked these Pottery Barn chairs… especially the white, furry one.

However, my biggest concerns with having light faux fur were that:

1. We have two housemates that like to wipe their doggy essence on things.  This wouldn’t look pretty for long.
  2. The room gets warm in the summer making a furry place to sit all the less appealing.

But then we were at JoAnn’s and Tess spotted this one.  At half off, it was $30 bucks and it was SOLD!

Tessa was so excited to get it home, she didn’t even mind that it wasn’t egg-shaped or furry.  The purple is a bit darker than the rest of the room, but we decided with pillows, it’ll work for now.

So that we didn’t have to abandon the furry option all together, I made a white furry pillow instead.  And I am thankful we went with such a small piece.  I have limited experience with furry fabrics and this one shed up a storm.  IT. WAS. EVERYWHERE.  All over the clerk at JoAnn’s that cut the fabric.  All over the clerk that rang me up.  All over me.  All over the workroom floor.  I keep finding white strands of fur in the weirdest places.  You’d think we have a cat.

But the faux fur is SO worth it.  It’s perfect for the chair and the space.

I also picked up this gray beaded number from Marshall’s to round out the look.

My girl is loving the new spot to sit and we’re loving that it didn’t cost thousands of dollars.  Sheesh!  For that kind of money, the chair better cook and clean for me too.

So… what’s the craziest thing you’ve wanted, but almost died over the price?  Were you able to come up with a crazy cheap alternative?  Do you have experience working with fur?  Wait… scratch that last one.  I may not want to know.

1. Alex @ northofseven says:

The craziest thing I have ever wanted? oh you mean outside of everything in Restoration Hardware? There’s some bedding that I want that is so expensive I could probably feed my family for a month. The one thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Loft 36 Round shadow box mirror. http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=3139&catalog=room&category=rm_accessories&subcategory=mirror
    $799.
    I’ve got a nice replica hanging on my wall for around $75.
    That’s a good chair you got for her room! What could possibly go wrong with teenagers in a hanging chair? I am envisioning a Flintstones episode.

• Storypiece says:

Ha!! I’m hoping that she has outgrown any Flintstone-esque stunts, but luckily I won’t have to find out any time soon.

Restoration Hardware has the best stuff, but I haven’t checked out Room and Board before… LOVE. Got it bookmarked and thanks for the tip!

sooooooo, tessa’s favorite color is, i’m kinda gathering, purple? that was my favorite color as a kid. it was so special to me that i didn’t want anything purple so that i could value one thing that was. purple was a very big deal. judas priest, that sounds weird. but i meant it! 😀

• Storypiece says:

I think her first word was purple. The only thing that has changed over the years is that she’s gone from loving pale purple to this deep, regal color. She can totally relate to what it meant to you. 🙂

Those egg-chairs are two things: 1. Awesome to a teenager. 2. Look REALLY uncomfortable to anyone else… Or at least to me. The one she ended up with looks way more useable than a molded plastic pod. Right? Or am I the only one?

The thing I most wanted was a GIANT cast iron, garden urn. On ebay. From some castle in France. Seven feet tall. And painted blue. It was AWESOME. And $25,000. I showed to Paul and made some suggestions about Christmas… but I guess he didn’t get the hint.

Well, I’m glad there was no lawn mowing or lemonade stands to raise the money for those other chairs…. I have a feeling she would hate them in about 2 weeks. YIKES!
    They look cool… but I’m with Victoria …. I bet they’re so uncomfortable. I bet they’re also really large and would gobble up the room.

This chair, however is perfect and actually looks like something I could curl up in and fall asleep. (or maybe I’m just tired and every spot looks like a good spot. HA!)
    I think it’s fits beautifully.
    Is Tessa taking your instagram photo for today? (LOL)

Love the pillows… even if they get up and crawl away on their own. Every young girl deserves a little fur in her boudoir.

5. Beth says:

What an awesome challenge for you and your daughter to work through together…finding the ‘perfect’ chair within a realistic budget! Life lessons:)!

Thanks! The whole process has been fun with LOTS of life lessons along the way. It’s been good, but tonight she told me she was kinda done with “teachable moments”. 🙂 Ha…. kids!

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!