Paper Flower Decorations for Spring

Paper Flower | Storypiece.net

Happy May Day!  I can hardly believe we are already into May 2013.  Just a few more weeks and the kids will be out of school and BBQ season will be upon us.  Portland has been annoyingly rainy this year and the sight of the sun is making for a very happy household.

So to welcome in May and the warm weather ahead, I made some paper flowers to brighten up our place.

Decorative Paper Balls from Cupcake Liners | Storypiece

I’ve been wanting to make these decorative paper balls from cupcake liners for over a year now.  They are all over Pinterest and super easy to create.

I picked up paper cupcake liners in several bright colors and 3″ styrofoam balls.

Supplies for Cupcake Liner Decor | Storypiece

To begin you’ll want to fold the paper liner in half:

Cupcake Liner Folded in Half | Storypiece

Then in quarters:

Quarter Fold Cupcake Liner | Storypiece

Then in eighths:

Final Cupcake Liner Fold | Storypiece

Once your liner is folded, you can easily glue it onto the styrofoam using a hot glue gun.  I had read to apply the liner with a pin (which you can see in these photos), but I found that this was an unnecessary step and the hot glue holds fine without it.

Glue Cupcake Liner | Storypiece

I also found that it’s much easier to add the glue directly onto the styrofoam instead of the liner.

Decorating Styrofoam | Storypiece

Repeat a bunch more times.  For each ball, I used about 60 cupcake liners.

Fan Cupcake Liner | Storypiece

Since this is such a repetitive project, Tess helped me out.  I folded all the paper and she worked the glue gun.  It’s all about the team work.

How to Make Paper Flowers | Storypiece

When the glue has dried, the paper easily fluff’s out to fill any gaps that may have occurred.  This is a very forgiving craft.

Finished Paper Flowers | Storypiece

We’ll be enjoying these with a little Cinco de Mayo fest this weekend and they will transition us right into Mother’s Day.  However, I think they would make really cute decorations for a birthday or baby shower too.

Mothers Day Floral Decorations | Storypiece

With the warmer weather are you adding any new decor to your home?  Have you tried anything new projects from Pinterest?  Does anyone else hear giggles when you say “decorative balls”?  Yeah… that’s life with teenagers sometimes.

Linking up with:

WeekendBloggyReadingfridayflashblog

1. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

Oh, I think we can all agree that festive balls brighten up every occasion… (Sorry, I guess I’m permanently stuck in adolescence… but that was too funny to pass up.)

Those are super cute… and look rewardingly easy. And something fun to do as a pair.

p.s.- am I imagining the “like” button? Did .org just add that?

• admin says:

Bwhahaha! How great would it be to make these with foil cupcake liners?! I have visions of them being glittery and shimmery.

PS. The button is off of Jetpack. If just added it for grins. 🙂

• admin says:

Ha! And I have to tell you that you came up as my 1000 comment on this blog. Yippee! I have nothing to offer you other than the title of “1000th Commenter” and my hearty thanks! 🙂 Such a fun milestone that I had to share.

2. Lindsey says:

These are so fun! I could definitely use a project like this for baby showers- I’m in that phase of life when ‘everyone around me is pregnant!’ 🙂

• admin says:

These would be so great if you are throwing lots of showers because you can display them in several different ways. Just don’t drink the water if everyone around you is getting pregnant. 😉

Very cute lady! I love how you guys always have way more holidays south of the border than we do. The Fourth of July decorations I always see out are wild! We just wear red and white and crack open a 24 of beer for Canada Day.

HAhahah I like the like button!

• admin says:

It helps that I have a natural party planner in our home. The other day Tess told me, “I know you don’t want me to go over the top decorating for Mothers Day, but don’t worry… I will.” Love her spirit and it keeps me looking for new ways she can express it.

• admin says:

They are so easy! If you have a Michael’s Craft Store near you, they have lots of colors and designs. Best of luck and thanks for dropping by.

• admin says:

Thanks, Jennifer. I did get to see some of the other members and even pinned a couple of ideas. Thanks again for hosting… Cheers!

Hi Amanda… that is a great question and an important step I missed explaining. I used pins from my sewing kit. They have a round ball on one end and were perfect for this project. I used heavy clear thread and tied it just under the ball on the pin. I then added a tiny bit of hot glue to secure the thread to the pin. Also to insure that the pin did not slide out of the styrofoam ball, I applied another drop of hot glue on the ball and pushed the pin into it.

Hope that helps. If you end up making these, I’d love to hear about it. Best of luck!

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!