Hanging Vintage Plates

Vintage Plates Display | Storypiece.net

Thanks for letting me share a little more of what’s been going on with our family.  It’s been an interesting season with lots of treasured moments, but some hard ones too.   I hate to think that I’m bumming people out, but some of you have become friends and it didn’t feel right to keep you in the dark.

Some of the photos from the last post were from April.  Tyson’s sister and a cousin were in town and the family got together to go through their grandparent’s things. They have been gone for several years and Tyson’s Dad has been storing what’s left of their stuff ever since.

The process became a bit of a challenge because we didn’t always know the story behind the stuff.  Why were certain items kept?  Were they intended for someone specific to have? Did someone just never get around to donating things to Goodwill?  Decisions had to be made based on limited or no information.  But like any time spent with Tyson and his family, it’s always a good time… even when it’s bittersweet.  There was lots of laughter and exchanging stories as they all reminisced about their family.

At the end of the day, we found new homes for most items and there are many pieces that we are all looking forward to using when we get together during the holidays.

Vintage Dishes | Storypiece.net

Tyson and I came home with several oddball plates that didn’t create a set and I realized that they would be perfect for a plate display in our kitchen.  Tyson loved the idea of using his grandmother’s plates and we began selecting and playing with layouts.

Arrangement 1 & 2 | Storypiece.netArrangement 3 & 4 | Storypiece.net

We each had our favorite configuration, but decided all of these would end up being a little too crowded on the wall.  Ultimately, we went with fewer plates and a more streamlined look.

Plate Arrangement | Storypiece.net

In addition to the plates, we also used these wooden pieces.  We aren’t exactly sure what they are from, but we suspect they are cloche bases.

Bell Jar Bases | Storypiece.net

Regardless of what they were originally intended for, I love the decorative detailing and the wood ties in with the chocolate sparkle paint that we have on the opposite kitchen wall.

Cloche Bases | Storypiece.net

To hang the items, I purchased these Disc Adhesive Plate Hangers

Plate Discs | Storypiece.net

I found mine on Amazon and have included an affiliate link. However, I’ve also seen them at Hobby Lobby.  No matter where you purchase them, they are incredibly easy to use. Once we determined an arrangement, it was a matter of following the instructions to adhere the discs and then hanging the plates.

Adhesive Discs | Storypiece.net

I made paper templates to tape up first to get the positioning just right.

Paper Templates | Storypiece.net

Hanging Plates | Storypiece.net

We’ve never had a display of plates on the wall before and this turned out exactly as we had hoped… pretty and a beautiful reminder of family.

Wall of Plates | Storypiece.netDisplay Detail | Storypiece.net

Also, you may have noticed that not all the pieces are vintage.  In fact, I picked up this plate at Target to round out the display.  I like how the color ties in with Tyson’s Grandmother’s saucers.

Target Plate | Storypiece.netOnce the cabinets are painted white and the trim is installed, the plates will really pop.  In the meantime, it’s fun to have some heritage gracing our kitchen wall.

Wall Display of Plates | Storypiece.net

Do you own any special dishware from family?  Have you ever created a wall display of plates?  Any guesses on what the wood bases are?

You can find me at:

Best of the WeekLife InspiredGiveMeTheGoodsMondaynewbutton_zps121b9e82

Danielle… I LOVE THIS! The pieces you chose and the arrangement you came up with keeps it totally modern and up-to-date. I think you’re absolutely right about the cloche guess. Those wood pieces are super cool. I just love them.
    The plates are equally fabulous. (even the Target one. Who doesn’t love Target!) The colors are so pretty and they mix well with the wood. What a wonderful way to display something special that will make you smile every time you walk past them. This is perfect.

2. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

It will NOT surprise you that I love the fancy wood bases… great use of them!

I mostly shove my garage sale pieces (that I can’t leave behind, even though I have no use for them) in a stack in the china cabinet, but it’s much nicer to be able to see what you’ve collected!

A stacked display is a very cool idea. My favorites are when they have a monochromatic look. Unfortunately, we don’t have a good spot for a china cabinet or buffet so this was my best option for keeping them around. 🙂

Whatever the wood bases are I love them! The best thing about this display is the meaning it has for your family. It’s always nice to find that your Grandparents had some cool things to pass on vs finding it at a thrift store. It makes it that much extra.

My girlfriend had a neat plate display in her last house that I always really loved so I was super excited to get to try the look out with family items. It’s been really fun trying to find beautiful ways to incorporate these things back into our lives.

4. kellycreason says:

I have several of those wooden bases. I inherited them from my Mom, who got them when we were living in Japan. She (and I) use them as bases for Japanese figurines (porcelain, brass, etc.)

Really?! So do your bases have the glass bell dome for them or are they suppose to be left open? Virginia had some interesting dishes that had Japanese influences and now you have me even more curious about the origins of these bases.

• kellycreasonK says:

Nope, they have always just been the bafigurse for Mom’s Japanese figurines. I have a brass boy in a kimono, about 8-9 inches tall, and a porcelain Hoti (pronounced hoe-tye). It doesn’t look like I can attach a photo here, so I’ll send it to you via FB.

Hi Marie… thanks for dropping by! I felt the same way about using plates as wall decor… love the idea, but not sure how to translate it into my kitchen. However, I really think they could work well any space that could use a splash of color. My girlfriend used them underneath a window and they were beautiful. Let me know if you get a chance to try the look out.

Ha! The discs are one of those things that I had no idea existed until I started trying to figure out how to hang the plates. There are metal hooks that you can buy to hold the plates on the wall, but you can see the little grips on the edges of the plate. I like the idea of it being completely seamless so I went with the adhesive discs. Both options work great!

5. amy @ commona-my house says:

I love what you did with this and your creative use of the wooden bases. Great tutorial about how you hung them all! I’ve never seen them used with cloches, but I grew up the daughter of an antique auctioneer and also lived in Japan…from my experience they are typically a base for a porcelain vase, lamp or figurine. check this: https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+vase+with+wooden+base&rlz=2C1CHMO_enUS0538US0538&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rncTUs7hMsSd2gWF1YCICg&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=624

Thanks for linking up at Give Me the Goods Monday Link Party!
    Glad to have found you!
    XO,
    Amy

Thanks, Amy! A friend on Facebook (who also lived in Japan for a season) mentioned that she thought they were the same thing. Then when I looked through the photos again, I realized that there are tiny asian men on the plates that I hung. Tyson’s grandmother had a few other pieces that make us think that she may have enjoyed Japanese decor, but unfortunately, we won’t ever know the full story.

Thank you for sharing the link. I was having a difficult time finding information online and I’m definitely interested in learning more. So glad you dropped by. Cheers!

6. Cindy Eikenberg says:

Danielle, I love all of your plates and how you put the display together! Thank you so much for joining us and sharing at Best of the Weekend! Pinning to our party board. I so hope you can join us this Friday and are enjoying a great week!

Thank you for hosting and sharing me on Pinterest! I love getting to be a part of the party and seeing so many creative people that link up. It’s the perfect way to kick-off the weekend. 🙂

7. Mike says:

This is the second example I’ve seen where someone hangs plates vertical & in a space that would otherwise be “wasted.” Lovely job. I like the variety of plates you used too!

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!