Pantone Color for 2014: Radiant Orchid

Pantone 2014 | Storypiece.net

Almost as much as I was looking forward to Christmas and the coming new year, I couldn’t wait for Pantone to announce their color pick for 2014.  For those unfamiliar with Pantone, they set the industry standards in color and their recommendations influence what we will be seeing in fashion, design and ultimately home decor.

Last year’s color was Emerald and the color for 2012 was the fabulous Tangerine Tango.

Pantone 2013Pantone 2012

Their recent recommendations have been gorgeous jewel tones and I was eager to hear what was on the horizon.

Pantone did not disappoint.

Radiant Orchid | Storypiece.net

2014 is the year of Radiant Orchid.

This regal color is lighter and warmer than the purple that we used in Tessa’s room, but it’s equally beautiful.

Although our home is filled with warm earth tones, I love the challenge of bringing in Radiant Orchid accents for a fresh look.

Orchid & Blue | Storypiece.net

Ideally our family room with it’s Chocolate Sparkle Walls and Robin Egg Blue could easily embrace this new color trend.

Orchid & Brown | Storypiece.net

What do you think of Radiant Orchid?  Any plans to incorporate this color trend into your home decor?  What are some of your favorite design trends that are forecasted for 2014?

I know… how great is that pillow?! I found it at Kohl’s and had to include it. Technically it’s not quite the right color, but it definitely makes up for that in cheekiness.

1. Pam says:

I always check out the Pantone color for the year also. I am so happy to see orchid entering the design trends.. beautiful!

2. Christina says:

I’m with you, this color is really pretty. The last two years didn’t do much for me. However, I won’t be using orchid in our home…I have a definite and minimal color scheme and it just wouldn’t work. But I’m hoping to find other ways to squeeze it into my life.

Oh, and your mood boards are great. 🙂

Thanks! The Pantone Colors recently have been outside of our home’s color palette too, but I’ve had fun trying to find ways to bring it in with flowers or an inexpensive accent piece. Last year, I bought a pair of emerald flats for myself that don’t go with everything in my closet, but when I do wear them, they brighten my day.

3. Trisha D. says:

I was in love with the past colors, but this one took me by surprise. I used to be a PURPLE Freak back in my younger years. This resulted in an avoidance over the year. However, I’m ready to let this interesting hue take over my year!

We had been trying to guess the color for weeks. I completely nerd out over the announcement. 🙂 I was surprised by the Orchid too, but I think it works well with the past colors and so it makes sense.

My youngest has her room painted in a deep purple and I’m not sure she’ll ever out grow it. I think her first word was Purple and it hasn’t changed since. Can’t wait to see how it springs up in your world!

danielle! i don’t think you’re blog is showing up in my reader anymore?!?! i haven’t seen several of these posts. i must look into that.
    this is not only a great color, but the name is fantastic. i often think it would be a fun job to name, paint colors, or nail polishes or lipsticks 🙂

here’s to beautiful paint and a beautiful year!

Hmmm… that’s so weird. Sometimes technology is such a pain.

I whole heartedly agree: I would love to get paid to come up with all the fun names for color out there. I do have to confess that I was a little disappointed with Pantone’s color last year since it was just Emerald instead of say… Exotic Emerald. There’s something about adding a little pizzazz to the name that makes me even more excited about the color. Cheers!

Isn’t it so great?! Let me know if you need me to send you the link and if you get it. That would make my day!

PS. Did you see the pin I tagged you in? I think it could be a fun Mother’s Day present for a grandparent who lives far away.