Sharp Valentine’s Day Trends

Cross Stitch Cupids Arrow | Storypiece.net

My favorite trend this Valentine’s season is the Arrow. It’s a fresh twist on traditional holiday hearts and it’s a fun way to decorate for Valentine’s Day without getting too cutesy.  Not only is it a style that can endure far beyond February 14th, but it echoes the chevron craze that is still so hot in home decor.

A couple of looks that have really caught my eye include:

Sharp Trends | Storypiece.net

Arrows in Multi By Hawthorne / Home wall decor / Metallic jewelry / Arteriors home decor / Nautical home accessory / Teal Arrow PillowRound accent table / Jill Rosenwald red wool rug.

I would love it if my valentine surprised me with any of the above items, but the gold bracelet would be extra awesome.

You know… in case anyone needs a last minute gift idea.

But I digress.

In honor of this sharp arrow trend, I’ve come up with another Valentine’s Day cross-stitch pattern to go along with last year’s needlework craft.

Cross Stitch Free Patterns | Storypiece.net

For those that are new to Storypiece, last year I offered two free valentine cross-stitch patterns to my readers.  If you would still like a copy of the stacked hearts or xoxo patterns, you can access them here.

This valentine’s day, the design is all about arrows.

Cross Stitch Arrow Pattern | Storypiece.net

Supplies:

Arrow Cross-Stitch Supplies | Storypiece.net

• Aida cloth
  • Embroidery Thread – 3 Different Colors
  • Embroidery Hoop & Needle

Process:

Download Cupid’s Arrow Pattern.

Cross Stitch Valentine's Day Arrow | Storypiece.net

Cross Stitch Arrow | Storypiece.net

Stitch and frame.

Cross Stitch Valentine Set | Storypiece.net

I love that these patterns are simple and quick.  This is an ideal project if you want to be able to finish something crafty in an afternoon or while watching a movie.

Cupid's Arrow Cross-stitch Pattern | Storypiece.net

What is your favorite way to decorate for Valentine’s Day?  Have you been pierced by the arrow trend?  Any big plans for your special Valentine?

1. Victoria • Restoring our Victorian says:

My mother-in-law has these crazy crossstitched Christmas poinsettia earrings… (Probably from 1970.) I don’t know why she hasn’t offered to give me them, I’ve complemented her 50,000 times.

I don’t know why it did not occur to me until now that I could probably make my own… I may be hitting you up for Crosstitch advice.

Ha! Some people just don’t know how to take a hint. 🙂 Seriously though, you could totally make them yourself… cross-stitch is SO crazy easy. If you ever need any help, just let me know and I’d be happy to get you started.

Thanks, Kalyn! I wish I had more time for it too… it always makes me so happy when I can sneak in a little project. Let me know if you get a chance to try one of these patterns. I’d love to know what you think. 🙂

2. Kristen@Inspired Whims says:

Danielle, I love the trio of arrows pattern! I’ve never cross-stitched but now I’m tempted… Do you have any recommendations for starting? And, this is a silly question, but do you trace the pattern on the fabric or just look at it to copy it??

Thanks, Kristen! Cross-stitch is the absolute easiest of the needle crafts and the patterns I shared our great beginner ones. I’ve been thinking about doing a tutorial and now I think i will. Hopefully I’ll have it up in the next few weeks with a new pattern to try out for Spring.

However, to answer your question before then, cross-stitch is often referred to as counted cross-stitch because there is no pattern on the cloth you are working on. You count the number of squares you need to stitch and add those in a row to the cloth. You can pick up a small kit from a local craft store that typically come with all of the supplies and instructions on how to get started. But there are some tips and tricks that make me really excited about sharing a how-to here. Trust me, once you try it you’ll be hooked. 🙂

Honestly, I’m not sure what size the Aida count is on this project, but it’s most likely 16 count. If you end up recreating one of the designs I’ve shared, please feel free to email me a photo. I’d love to see it! And thanks for stopping by and commenting, Angelica! 🙂

Hi Krystal! The terrible truth is that I used thread left over from another project and didn’t write the color down. I’ve dug around through my stash and the closest I can find is DMC 943 – Aquamarine. DMC 992 is light aquamarine and could work well also. Your local craft store should have a huge selection of DMC floss to choose from and hopefully you can find something that works for your daughter’s room. Having a daughter that loves bright, bold color, I understand the important of finding just the right shade. Best of luck!

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!