Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt

Easter Scavenger Hunt | Storypiece.net

Easter (like Christmas) is very important around here because of it’s spiritual significance. However, the holiday is also filled with fun family traditions that my kids still love.  The baskets, the egg dying, the Easter egg hunt, the chocolate bunnies and Cadbury eggs…  Sure they’re teenagers so there is no mystery behind a magical bunny delivering all the goods, but they still dig the festivities nonetheless.

Easter Carnival | Storypiece.netThis year will most likely be our last Easter with Evan for a while.   With our son heading to college, I’m continually aware of how different things are going to be and so I want to make this Easter a memorable one. When I heard about an Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt, I knew I’d come across the perfect solution for my teens.

Upfront, I decided I would want each kid to have their own scavenger hunt to figure out.  I want to use the entire house and I want them heading in different directions in the process.  They will each ultimately find their own Easter basket hidden in two distinctly different places in our home.

This is going to take some orchestrating.

Easter Eggs | Storypiece.net

I started off by brainstorming egg locations.  I came up with 15 places throughout our home that I could hide eggs in.  Even though I want each hunt to be unique to each of my kids, I am using the same clues, but I will have them come up in a different order.  So even though they might find a clue in the same drawer, that clue won’t come up in the same sequence.

I then came up with clever clues for each hiding spot.  Clever should probably be more “clever” because coming up with riddles isn’t my strong suit.  However, if you would like to use my “witty” hints for your own hunt, I have included them here as a free download.  I tried to keep the clues pretty common and they can be completely customized for the age of your egg hunters.  The free downloadable list is here: Scavenger Hunt Clues.

Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt Clues | Storypiece.net

Once I had all of my clues figured out, I got out a sharpie and my eggs to begin putting this all together.

Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt | Storypiece.net

Since some of the eggs would be hidden in the same spot, I marked each egg with my teens initial and the numbered clue.

Easter Egg Hunt for Teens | Storypiece.net

In a few of the eggs I added candy because what’s an Easter egg hunt without a little something sweet to enjoy along the way.

Bonus tip:  I love that this scavenger hunt can easily be set-up ahead of time.  As I put each egg out, I’ll double check the clue inside because it would be just like me to mix things up and have this make no sense what’s so ever.

Easter Hunt for Teens | Storypiece.net

That’s pretty much it.  Fingers crossed that this will be a total success and not completely lame.  On Friday, I’ll be sharing my favorite picks for filling teen Easter baskets.

Have you ever held an Easter Egg Scavenger Hunt? What are some of your favorite Easter traditions?  How do you keep things interesting as your kids get older?

And for MORE scavenger hunt fun, check out the Birthday Scavenger Hunt we did here.

UPDATE: THE LINK FOR THE SCAVENGER HUNT CLUES HAS BEEN FIXED.  HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME: danielle@storypiece.net Thanks and Happy Easter!

1. Cheryl Corrgal says:

My family has been doing scavenger egg hunts since my kids were in primary school. They loved it and so one year I decided to do it for my grandson. Since then there has been a note left for the Easter Bunny asking for a riddle hunt ( as they call it). I think the funniest was when we used nursery rhymes for the clues. We laughed as we watched them trying to figure it out. Another idea I have always wanted to try involves different colored string for each child to follow to their basket. The catch- the Bunny looked all over the house leaving the behind a trail of the string everywhere went. The string for each child intersects and they must figure out where theirs goes to.

Oh my goodness, Cheryl that is so brilliant! Our Easter mornings are always so crazy with church activities, but I would love to try out your string idea. You are a very fun mom and grandma! Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

Happy Easter!

2. JenOzbek says:

I started this in my home when my daughter was old enough to read. With an only child typical egg hunts are “only so much fun”. She absolutely loves it! She’s 13 now and still expects to wake up and find her first clue! Thank you for your list, I was running out of rhymes! Happy Easter!

Ha… I love it! It sounds like you’re a pro at this. Insider secret: I used rhyme.net to help me with some of the clues. :) Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Easter with your family!

3. Janice Stuhmer says:

I have done an Easter scavenger hunt the past 4 years for my grandchildren. They absolutely love it! The hardest part for me is writing the catchy clues, but I’m getting better at it. I also have the older grandchildren help the little ones.

4. Tracy says:

I’m a 6th grade teacher. My team usually has an “end-of-the-9-weeks” reward period. I am planning a scavenger hunt for teams of children. All of the teams will have the same clues but in different orders. They will have to check in with a teacher after each clue. The last clue will lead them to the Reward/Treat table.

5. Carol says:

Thanks for sharing I love hunts but hate coming up with the places and corny sayings so extra thanks.. We did a hunt but put scriptures pertaining to the Easter story. Then read them in order once all the eggs were found

6. Kristin says:

Can’t wait to try this. We have three foster teens and I think this will be a great memory for them. They will also get baskets from the EB,.

My kiddos were 14 and 18 when I did it last year and I think they had fun not because my clues were anything challenging, but the scavenger hunt was something different from a traditional egg hunt. Each teen’s hunt ended in a different location and that is where they found their basket.

I hope your kids have a great time and Happy Easter!

7. Joy Curtin says:

My computer won’t open the download because I don’t have the software. Would you be willing to email me the list. Thank you. This is a great idea! I can’t wait to do it!
    Joy

Hi Joy! I just emailed the clues to you. Please let me know if you don’t receive the email or if you have any additional issues. Thanks again for stopping by and leaving a comment. Cheers!

8. cathy says:

I have been doing clues for at least 35 years. It is now the grandchildren that have to solve clues to find their baskets. It has been fun for all ages. If there are little ones they buddy up with an older child. Very fun.

9. Tracy says:

Thank you for these ideas. I always do one but lack creativity LOL My son is 11 and is saving up his money so that is what will be at the end of the hunt. I changed it up to have it in the freezer. I am going to freeze his money in the ice cubes LOL (I think I’ll put it in a plastic bag)

10. carolina says:

I have always had my kids ‘search’ for their Easter Basket on Easter morning, using clues inside of plastic eggs. They love the scavenger hunt excitement, and it gives me a few minutes of extra sleep : )

Smart girl! I only came up with this idea once they were teenagers. It would’ve been perfect when they were little and every extra minute of sleep is precious.

Happy Easter to you and yours!

11. Lauren Meizo says:

I have spent the last two Easters in the hospital, due to a heart transplant so I’ve never been to do an egg hunt on easter for my niece. This year is going to be different :), I am going all out! I can not download your clues either. Would you please email me them, I tried everything to open them. Thankyou in advance & Happy Easter Everyone

Absolutely! I’m so excited to help make this Easter extra special for your niece. I just sent the clues via email, but if you didn’t receive them, please let me know. I hope that you have a lovely holiday with your family and that you are doing well. A heart transplant is major and to be celebrating outside of the hospital will make this weekend very sweet. Enjoy!

12. LaVerne says:

Like some others have said I don’t have office so I cant download the clues. If you could please email them to me I would appreciate it. I did a scavenger hunt for my 5 grandchildren last summer and they loved it. An Easter one would be great !

13. Kathryn Jennings says:

Brilliant Idea, I can’t wait to try it out with my youth group! Could you email me your clues please? My imagination isn’t always the best!! Thank you!

14. nancy hillstrom says:

I’m having trouble downloading the clues as well. Could you please email them to me. Thank you. Such a cute idea.

15. Jennifer says:

Thanks for making this resource available! I’ve printed out the clues and am off to set up the hunt. Love the idea about using the same hiding locations but having the kids find them in a different order! Happy Easter!

16. Marla says:

This is an awesome idea… I tweaked it a little to use it as a teaching moment for my younger kids as well.. this message was found in golden egg: Remember Jesus is the real reason for the season – Happy Easter! Mommy and Daddy love you both very much. However, Jesus loves you even more… He died upon the cross for your sins. Jesus became the ultimate SACRIFICE for all of us. But God’s love for us did not stop there… Jesus arose on the 3rd day and is ALIVE so you can both have happy and full lives… Good job with finding your baskets!!! They can be found under the guest bathroom sink.

17. Tabatha says:

I have teenagers. Last year to make it harder I gave the kids a bible verses and they had to find the key word to find their next clue. Make sure everyone uses the same type of bible that caused a bit of trouble.

18. Laura says:

This is a great I idea, thanks for sharing. I couldn’t down load either. I’d love to have these emailed please, thank you kindly.

19. Kim Cavanaugh-Schaffner says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this AWESOME idea!! I know my 9 yr old son, and our 2 Grandsons, age 6 and 2 (from our 25 yr old daughter) are going to LOVE this fun tomorrow!! Yep, hard to believe we are grandparents and parents to a 9 year old son, its crazy, but we are beyond blessed! Its been a crazy last few weeks and i have not had time to plan a big hunt for the kids… so lucky to have found this! You are an answer to my prayers! Again, thanks for sharing!!!!

20. Natalie says:

Hi! I’m 12, the youngest in a family of 4, and I always make ‘holiday games’ for my parents and brother. Usually I do ‘Wheel of Fortune’ or ‘Jeopardy!’ but this year for easter I wanted to try something new! Plus, this one is SUPER last minute and your clues were an absolute LIFESAVER!!! I can’t wait for my family to do this! After Church and Brunch and stuffing ourselves with whatever we gave up for Lent we don’t have anything planned, and my spring break is the week after Easter! So thanks so much!

Happy Easter!

Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!